Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opposites

Opposites

This is very simple. I'm currently involved in an argument with a friend. And the question is this: Do opposites exist?
    Why am I still here?

Lightbulb

Of course opposites exist.
    How can that scientific law of:
    "Opposites attract"
    Be true if there wasn't such a thing as opposites
    to be attracting.

Remote_Access_

Noble Hamlet
    Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    Of course opposites exist.
    How can that scientific law of:
    "Opposites attract"
    Be true if there wasn't such a thing as opposites
    to be attracting.

Remote_Access_
    Not to be offensive but surely that is the point of the discussion, to test such a theory and not just accept.

How are you defining 'opposites'? The opposite of High might be Low, but it could be sober depending on the context.
    What is the context of the conversation?

The context of this is simply, do tangible opposites exist. For example, I tried to suggest that light was the opposite of dark, but I couldn't prove that because I couldn't prove that darkness is exists.

Any interpretation on the subject is fine.
    Why am I still here?

OR, is darkness the absence of light?

Yeah, that too. But I couldn't prove that it was the opposite of light, even with that.
    Why am I still here?

Well, I'm not sure what your friend will require for proof, but, if you take him/her into a room, remove the light (turn off the light), would that not leave him or her in the dark?

Yes, i guess it would. But does that necessarily make it the opposite of having light.
    Why am I still here?

Originally posted by Alcatraz
    Yeah, that too. But I couldn't prove that it was the opposite of light, even with that.
    If you can't prove that darkness is the opposite of light, then try turning the lights off.
    ;P

Seriously though, tangible opposites do exist. Complete opposites do not exist (IMO), but that goes onto the whole yin-yang theory of how a wrong can contain some right, and a right can contain some wrong...

If I were you though, I would prove it with electricity or magnets. It is scientific fact that opposite magnetic fields attract, which is along the lines of what Remote_Access_ was talking about earlier.

In truth, it's a philosophical argument that's rather silly. Tangible opposites exist, but not all circumstances or objects have tangible opposites.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?