January 29th, 2002, 04:22 PM
A little tuesday puter humor
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work.
20. "That's Weird..."
19. "It's never done that before."
18. "It worked yesterday."
17. "How is that possible?"
16. "It must have a hardware problem."
15. "What did you type in wrong to get it to crash."
14. "There is something funky in your data"
13. "I haven't touched that module in weeks!"
12. "You must have wrong version."
11. "It's just some unlucky coincidence."
10. "I can't test everything!"
9. "THIS can't be the source of THAT."
8. "It works, but it's not been tested."
7. "Somebody must have changed my code."
6. "Did you check for a virus on your system?"
5. "Even though it doesn't work, how does it feel?"
4. "You can't use that version on your system."
3. "Why do you want to do it that way?"
2. "Where were you when the program blew up?"
(You have to think like a user to get this one)
1. "I thought I fixed that."
January 29th, 2002, 04:27 PM
hehe - I remember saying a few of those lines!
\"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
What they don\'t understand.
When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
-- William Forrester
January 29th, 2002, 05:04 PM
January 29th, 2002, 05:39 PM
A list of things you don't want to hear your Unix Sys Admin say:
•What the heck?!?
•Go get your backup tape. (You DO have a backup tape?)
•That's SOOOOO bizarre.
•Wow!! Look at this...
•Hey!! The Suns don't do this.
•What software license?
•Well, it's doing SOMETHING...
•Wow...that seemed fast...
•I got a better job at Lockheed...
•Sorry, the new equipment didn't get budgeted.
•What do you mean that wasn't a copy?
•It didn't do that a minute ago...
•Where's the GUI on this thing?
•Damn, and I just bought that Coke...
•Where's the DIR command?
•The drive ate the tape but that's OK, I brought my screwdriver.
•I cleaned up the root partition and now there's LOTS of free space.
•What's this "any" key I'm supposed to press?
•Do you smell something?
•What's that grinding sound?
•I have never seen it do THAT before...
•I don't think it should be doing that...
•I remember the last time I saw it do that...
•You might as well all go home early today...
•My leave starts tomorrow.
•Oops! (said in a quiet, almost surprised voice)
•Hmm, maybe if I do this...
•Why is my "rm -r *" taking so long?"
•Well, MY files were backed up.
•What do you mean you needed that directory?
•What do you mean /home was on that disk? I umounted it!
•Do you really need your home directory to do any work?
•I didn't think anybody would be doing any work at 2am, so I killed your job.
•Yes, I chowned all the files to belong to pvcs. Is that a problem to you?
•We're standardizing on AIX.
•Wonder what THIS command does?
•What did you say your (1)user name was...
January 29th, 2002, 05:56 PM
7. "Somebody must have changed my code." , that one caused serious trouble at work when the Senior programmers went flipmode because a consultant made a mistake and there whas no backup.
here is one that happened to me last week:
Boss: I can't receive external e-mails
me: one sec.
Boss: can't you hurry up?
me: hold your horses I can't do magic
Boss : what? you can't do magic?