January 29th, 2002 04:04 PM
Find out if you are being watched.
Here's one to discuss. Let's say you want to know if you are being monitored in the work place. How would you go about checking? I would probably start as if I was checking for a trojan by doing the following:
1) Start with the basics such as doing ctrl-alt-del and see what is running.
2) Check win.ini to see if anything is in the run or load line.
3) Check system.ini to make sure that explorer.exe is the only thing on the shell line.
4) Check the StartUp directory: C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
5) Check the windows registry to see what is being run as a service:
What other things would you guys do to check? Any other registry keys to take a look at?
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...
January 29th, 2002 04:20 PM
I also check network traffic.
The only way to do that is to actually check each machine though.