Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux help

I'm behind chsh..
    my prophetII gave similar problems..
    Newer versions of Xfree are manditory...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    You could always dump Xfree86, and get one of the xwindows systems that you have to pay for. But that would just be insane. Instead, you should upgrade x. The kernal should have nothing to do with it, as long has you have the proper libraries to put the latest version of X on your system. They may be the biggest problem. You will probably have to update most of your libs just to get the latest version of X to install. Like a couple people said, the easist, and fastest way, is to upgrade RedHat. 7.2 has some worthwhile features, like ext3fs, which is great compared to ext2fs. If nothing else, that is pretty much worth while.

And besides, if you still need help, you can use mIRC (www.mirc.com) and point it at irc.antionline.com , some of the people in there should be able to help you out.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

1) Try an updated XFree86 version, 4.1.0, I think it is, But I'm not certain on that!
    failing that,
    2) go to the web site for your graphics card maufacturer, and see if they have a linux driver
    failing that
    3) follow the other advice here, update RedHat itself, or try something el;se

If you're downloading an updated XFree86, get an RPM version for RedHat - it *should* work!
    Finally, updating KDE or GNOME will (as far as I know) make no difference, because they are window managers, not the GUI itselrf. You need to have a working X system before you can run any window manager - which means setting the right graphics adaptor (usually it detects something similar that is compatible, like an older version of the same adaptor range, at least, Mandrake 7 and above usually seems to do that, from my experience. Apart from that, if its a RedHat specific problem I can't really suggest anything else, since I use Mandrake, although I have tried RedHat 5 before, and I am always on the lookout for cheap CDs with the latest versuions of any Linux Distribution on.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Thanks guys I downloaded the Mandrake 8.1 ISOs and instaed Xfree86 4.2.0 and everything works great!
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

You'll like Mandrake, most people do - apart from the people who want raw power rather than a working alternative to Windows... I use Mandrake as a machine to do everything Windows does only faster and better, but if i was creating a linux box as a server ONLY, not a workstation as well, I'd either install Mandrake without X and KDE, or I'd put Debian or something on it!

But yeah, Mandrake is great for general work, and it runs fine as a server, I mean, I work on it all the time and all the while its running apache, wu_ftpd, sendmail...
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

I'm glad you mentioned that, I am building a new box in my basement to act as a webserver for my new company. (I am not at liberty to discuss it yet) What would be a good distro to use and what should I do in terms of security. It'll be connected via Optimum Online and a Motorola SB4100 Modem
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

Rootman wrote:
    I'm glad you mentioned that, I am building a new box in my basement to act as a webserver for my new company. (I am not at liberty to discuss it yet) What would be a good distro to use and what should I do in terms of security. It'll be connected via Optimum Online and a Motorola SB4100 Modem
    I know many people who use Redhat as their webserver. RH 7.1 and up is a great webserver because it comes with TUX, which is probably the fastest webserver there is at serving static content. Apache is good for dynamic content.

In terms of security, I'd turn of all unnecessary services, and configure your firewall to reject any and all connections to your box except TCP and UDP port 80. The distros themselves are pretty well similar when it comes to webservers, basically you end up with Linux running Apache. If you'd like, you can email me privately on the matter, and I can give you some info on what I've done with Apache in the past. Me email address is chsh1ca@yahoo.ca.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?