Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux help

Linux help

I have a Radeon 32M SDR PCI 3D graphics card. I have RH 6.0 and I can't get the KDE to work. I have all my monitor pecs. Ihve all the information except fr whichVideo Card Driver to use. Mine wasn't listed. I tried to get version 4.2.0 from www.xfree6.org but it won't install I think I got the wrong binaries and they don't have ones that match my box. Is there a way to use a earlier version t make it work? Just some 1024 x 768 res wih no 3d ccel is fin for now. So any help with this problem is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

--RoOtMaN147
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

Re: Linux help

Originally posted by rootman147
    I have RH 6.0 and I can't get the KDE to work. I have all my monitor pecs. Ihve all the information except fr whichVideo Card Driver to use. Mine wasn't listed. --RoOtMaN147

I had a similar problem. Solution - update RedHat! I think the latest release is RedHat 7.2? I'm not quite sure...Although I do know that version 6.0 is getting a little outdated.

I'm still running Redhat 7 and even simple things like screen resolution are extremely frustrating.

Perhaps it's a fault in the KDE directory? Try and boot up using GNOME. I know I haven't been very helpful but I'm a bit of a newbie myself when it comes to LINUX. All those rpm, tar.gz, Xfree86 and stuff like that can be a little confusing. I'm sure when people like petemcevoy, linuxcommando and miss mittens read this thread your problem will be solved in an instant...

Computer Forensics
    Your card is too new for version 6.0 to begin with....
    have you checked on hardware.redhat.com for compatibilty or community knowledge regarding that card ?

I do happen to agree that upgrading would help your situation. you could try a few solutions other than mucking around with your XF86Config though. xvidtune or Xconfigurator are two helpful programs for configging RH. you should be able to download the RPM's for them.

Since your card will not have drivers listed, Xconfigurator allows you to set custom settings for video card and monitor frequencies. *****before you modufy settings make sure you know what they should be*******

ATI should have info on your card, and the monitor should have a white tag on the back of it(if it's not in the list) with refresh rates and such.

again...upgrading would be the simplest solution. and yes 7.2 is the newest version of red hat.

join us in irc.antionline.com for real-time help.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

oblio
    Do not listen to idiot confirmed kill, you do not need a newer version of redhat, just download the latest stable kernel's source.

Originally posted by oblio
    Do not listen to idiot confirmed kill, you do not need a newer version of redhat, just download the latest stable kernel's source.

My God you are an idiot. You're getting worse, oblio.

I think I have you nearly figured out. It's alot easier for you to make a name for yourself here by being an idiot rather than trying to play by the rules, so that's what you do. But deep down you hate yourself for it so you keep coming back trying to make an intellectual post once a month, but rightly so, no one cares what you have to say....Even if you're 100% correct you've done that much damage to yourself that no one is interested in what you have to say...You're like a fly at a BBQ. There's not much anyone can do about it, it's just something you have to put up with, rather annoying...

You lost all respect from me after your "Godspeed" thread...LOL... I can see it now....some dark little room in Canada with GS playing some typically melancholy crap and Chemical and yourself slowly nodding your head ( you're both too cool to actually move significantly) thinking "****, we're cool...." LOL...

Go back to your 3 string bass, oblio. You're getting boring.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Just for reference, running 'up2date -u' after you register on Redhat's Network will update all your packages and if you're running the graphical version of it, you can pick and choose what packages you want to update or ignore. These include the kernel updates but are left unchecked as updating the kernel incorrectly (not a newbie issue) can damage and/or destroy your current kernel and booting isn't an option after that.

Moral of the story: kernel source is incorrect and misleading, either update redhat via the method shown above (up2date -u after running rhn_register), or keep KDE running in 1024x768@32. XFree86.org should get support for your card soon enough.

Disclaimer: I'm not a guru of X at all since I run CLI most of the time or ssh in. I do know that you don't need the kernel source for an X configuration. Xconfigurator should be beneficial to tuning as hogfly stated. Get to know that as well as the others he mentioned.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll

My God you are an idiot. You're getting worse, oblio.

I think I have you nearly figured out. It's alot easier for you to make a name for yourself here by being an idiot rather than trying to play by the rules, so that's what you do. But deep down you hate yourself for it so you keep coming back trying to make an intellectual post once a month, but rightly so, no one cares what you have to say....Even if you're 100% correct you've done that much damage to yourself that no one is interested in what you have to say...You're like a fly at a BBQ. There's not much anyone can do about it, it's just something you have to put up with, rather annoying...

You lost all respect from me after your "Godspeed" thread...LOL... I can see it now....some dark little room in Canada with GS playing some typically melancholy crap and Chemical and yourself slowly nodding your head ( you're both too cool to actually move significantly) thinking "****, we're cool...." LOL...

Go back to your 3 string bass, oblio. You're getting boring.
    Well look at what his response suggests, and I agree with him. Continue using redhat 6, but you can update your kernel to the newest version for more support. Also get the drivers for linux for the video card. I had a similar problem trying to get x windows to work with my geforce2. If you weed through the insults, oblio makes some sense. No offense Conf1rm3d_K1ll.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    If you weed through the insults, oblio makes some sense.
    I disagree. The only area of any real expertise that oblio has is in java, a point he makes rather extravagantly by putting everyone who's ever posted on java (myself included) down. You do NOT need to update your kernel to the latest source when the issue at hand is dealing with a driver that's not supported by X. X does NOT modify the kernel during installation and hence, doesn't need anything added to the kernel for it to work. Video card drivers are a different story and if you have to add a module for your card to the kernel, that's done via modprobe, and insmod, not through the building of a kernel which requires a reboot as the new kernel is moved into place and the old one is saved. oblio didn't make any of these notifications and if rootman147 listened to him, he'd have gone and updated something that didn't need to be updated and *still* have the problem he has now, KDE not working.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Computer Forensics
    ok guys, back to the topic.

Vorlin I don't think that up2date will work in this case, since up2date is now a pay service, and if its version 6, I don't know if it will work anymore. I do agree with the insmod and modprobe.. Don't forget the depmod -ae.

anyways, rootman you might as well get with the times and upgrade.

and if you really needed help you might show up in IRC.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Oblio, TP, you're both mistaken. I had (until I upgraded to RH 7.1) an RH 6.0 box at home running on top of my Radeon 64MB VIVO DDR. All you need to do is upgrade X from 4.0.3(I think) to 4.1.0. The driver support for the Radeon from 4.0.x > 4.1.0 was amazing.

I'd recommend updating Xwindows before you do any messing around with your kernel. That's like suggesting that you fix the crack in the windshield by replacing the engine of the car.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?