Thread: M$ anti-trust issue under fire for ineffectiveness..

Exclamation M$ anti-trust issue under fire for ineffectiveness..

"This proposed decree is so ineffective that it would not have prevented Microsoft from destroying Netscape and Java. It is so ineffective in controlling Microsoft that it might as well have been written by Microsoft itself," Judge Bork said.

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128709

Netscape and java arent the only things in trouble.

Browser: Internet Explorer vs. Opera, Netscape Navigator
    Media player: Windows Media Player vs. Winamp, realplayer, quicktime player
    Office suite: Office XP vs. StarOffice
    programming language: .NET vs java
    Web server: IIS vs. Apache

The thing is that microsoft begins more of these battles every day. Soon they will change guidelines and make it so you must run only MS software applications on their OS.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Teachers and schools in Holland figured that if they switch to Linux within 1 year, they could save a lot of money on software and spend that on
    professional Linux support. And still have money left, Staroffice can replace M$ office and getting used to Netscape is not a problem.
    What they allso noticed that even switching their file servers to Novell whas better then sticking with NT.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    ThePreacher said it best and here are my own opinions:

Browser: Internet Explorer vs. Opera, Netscape Navigator
    Media player: Windows Media Player vs. Winamp, realplayer, quicktime player
    Office suite: Office XP vs. StarOffice
    programming language: .NET vs java
    Web server: IIS vs. Apache
    Any version of Windows/NT OS vs MacOS (bsd kernel) or Linux? HAHAHAHAHA! That's such an arguable scenario, I don't have to even go there. We'll just leave it at 'I'm glad I'm a unix admin where the OS is stable and I can do anything I want with it.".

IE vs Opera or NN? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! IE crashes once a day at work and half the time takes Windows with it. Damn ingrained-into-explorer.exe piece of shoddy beginner's coding filled with bugs and holes and exploits...

WMP vs Winamp (personal preference)? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Winamp's 1.85 megs with all options off of www.winamp.com, doesn't crash (I haven't had a crash yet), supports google-only-knows file extensions for audio, has the kickass DFX plugin (BUY THIS NOW), and uses at least 500% less memory AND is more efficient in usage. I've never had a memory leak with winamp. Go get WMP 7.x and watch your memory cry like a little girl... No contest. And if you're looking for streaming video/multimedia playback, get RadLight from www.radlight.com. Or quicktime if you're into it.

Office Xp vs StarOffice? HAHAHAHA! Office XP has 100000000000000 features I'll never use, takes up a good 2gb (rough) of hard drive space, integrates into the OS and Outlook (causing more exploitable holes on top of the other holes already there but not found), and uses memory like a cheap whore... Not to mention the price tag...

.Net vs Java? Java's browser independent, is more efficient, doesn't integrate into any OS like .Net (to my knowledge), and as long as the receiving party has the appropriate runtime environment, applications can be written on any OS platform. (For certain "java programmers", I don't give a rat's ass about anything I might've gotten wrong on java as I've already stated this is my opinion and based on working knowledge, so before you decide to write some response on the incorrectness of my post, understand that I don't give a ****). Besides, who would trust MS with their accounting information? That's one of .Net's "features".

IIS vs Apache? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Dear God, we won't start that one again. As soon as I get home tonight, I'm gonna see how many total hits I've had for infected IIS servers trying to infect/exploit my server with the CR "virus". Not to mention buffer overflows (hey MS, when are you going to start putting people that actually KNOW how to program in there?), piss-poor memory management (see previous comment on programming), error-checking (once more), and countless other bad programming "techniques" that can be named but these are the most troublesome. Lack of security, rushed jobs, no open source, no open suggestions for that matter, no communication between departments that do plugins or other related tasks, etc etc... The list goes on. Apache will ALWAYS ALWAYS rule the web server backend.

Just my humble opinions on this. Unix administration is so much fun and I get to make fun of NT "admins" daily!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Talking

Vorlin's in a good mood today. Ahem. actually he is right <sigh> I rarely have problems with the unix systems and netware ones but the m$ is worse every day.....
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.