Thread: fw question

Post fw question

On micaels suggestion that we put our fw, scanner, snoop honeypot items in IDS -

I am considering the checkpoint ng soho product. I see there are a few types. Safe@home/office and wondering if any in the ao community has tried these out.

You'll note it is cp but on a piece of hardware by sofaware.

What do you think?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Thumbs up

Actually looks very nice. I was a bit concerned when I first heard about the CP devices, but they are not that bad...the interface is very simple, which is good for the novice user. I would like to see a bit more advanced functionality in future releases, but it is on the right track.

I am still trying to figure out why they did not build in DHCP server functionality into this device. That is one feature that many SOHO users would like to have

This reminds me of when some people would run the Checkpoint policies in their switches.
    I just hope the appliances work better.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I am assuming you mean running policies on routers...not switches. A switch is only a layer 2 device, does not have packet filtering capabilities. Unless it is a layer 3 switch of course but then, it is really more like a very fast router than a switch.

You are right though. The CP gui allows you to configure access lists that can be pushed out to Cisco routers. I wouldn't trust this much..although from my experiences, it has worked, but I still like to do it manually, or through CSPM.

KorpDeath...I think this is what you meant...you probably weren't paying much attention when typing...lol....I do that often too.

Well the switches I'm speaking of are Xylan Omniswitches. You could load an image on them that would allow you to push the policies of CP on them. It worked for the most part but the problem was the damn switches only had a 25MHZ processor on them. Too little power to do switching, routing, and firewalling, you think?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Anyone else tried this thing out?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

are you asking about trying CP boxes? well one thing I have learnt is that those babes just work as long as you know how to admin, regardless of the number of users, licenses, hosts etc..

Just go for CP if u know it,
    You'll never regret it.

etsh911

carrier
    tell me anyone where i can find a prefix scanner help me @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ hacker_markou@yahoo.com thank you