Right on, so I was writing my response to the Spyware thread I started and I realized that there are three main methods for anyone making an application for the masses to get people to buy their stuff.

1: Remove functionality or time-limit the application so that you have to be registered to keep using it.

2: Put in ads that take up a certain amount of header space (like Opera) so that they might click on the ad to either buy a product or register it.

3: Put in spyware.

Now then, let's break down each one of these points (for those who may not be familiar with any/all of them).

Remove functionality/time limit the application

This used to be the standard method of operation for a majority of the applications available for download until a couple of years ago (1-2). People would make an application that didn't let you do a lot of things or they'd put a 15 day time limit based on your system time and it'd not work after that limit was up. A lot of companies that do BIG programs still do the limited-functionality/time-limit but not a majority of what you can get on download.com or tucows.com. Smaller companies are moving to the banners/ads/spyware, it seems.

Methods around removed functionality: hehe, have fun reverse-engineering it...
Methods around time-limit/registry entries: you could set your system clock forward a year (before installation) and if it hardcodes that date+time-limit then you're good for a while, however, if they're smart (like Norton is), they'll base it on other times as well, such as CMOS time, system time, etc.. Registry hacks prevent another installation (CDSpace is known for this, www.cdspace.com) but can be removed (hehe, see Norton's Registry Tracker) and hence, another installation could be done.

Result: buy the product and enjoy full benefits with no spyware and no ads and no time limit or removed functionality.

Put in banners/ads

This is a widely used method where the people making an app have said "We don't want them to not have functionality of the program but we want to promote XYZ or put in our own banner to register the product (pay the price)". LOTS of companies are using this philosophy as it's viewed as a pliable way to keep people using their product without going to someone else's because ads/banners can be ignored for the most part.

Methods around banners/ads: you could find the folder that has the images for the links and delete them but they might say "Ahh, if directory X is empty, fux0r the program from working as they've tried to foil us in nefarious ways!" to which you could say "haha, you can't fux0r my program because I just renamed them all as 0-byte files, so foil this!" to which they could say "Ahhh, I see your image kungfu is strong but if my file/byte count isn't above this number here, the program will still be fux0red. Ph33r my mad h@x0r directory/file checking, f3wl!" or something and your program won't work (like kazaa when you removed the spyware cookie/registry entry).

Result: buy the program and have ads/banners removed (like Opera's ads/banner goes away immediately upon a valid key entry).

Put in spyware

Latest in attempts to do user scanning for whatever, putting in programs to monitor sites/cookies/etc. Wide issue and not one that's well met, which is why Lavasoft's AdAware is so popular now (along with hogfly's BHO cop link program). Lots of medieval nefarious mischievious things can be done with spyware and should be watched for at all costs.

Methods around spyware: most programs can have spyware removed with tools like AdAware, yet some like Kazaa cease working upon spyware removal...fsckers.

Recommendation and result: find another product to do what you're wanting without spyware or has a time-limit/removed functionality and buy it. I don't want to say that 'once a spyware installing app, always a spyware installing app' but if Kazaa (example) had spyware enabled and upon removal stopped working, what's to say that if they came out with a Gold edition that supposedly had 'no spyware', who's to prove it true? That's like MS saying "here's the source for IE"...yeah right, where's the other half? I don't trust any program that installs spyware of any kind, whether it's cookies (light) or registry entries (heavy).

Get AdAware for free, no removed functionality (splash screen is annoying) here .

Get BHO here (ftp link).

Hope this helps those that might need clarification between the different application 'advertisement' methods. I know AdAware has been one of the best bought programs I've ever had...gonna look into BHO cop when I get home.