Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opposites

Well how about discussing at molecular level? *on thin ice* Either it´s positively charged or not. Opposites.. but it´s still molecules.. erhm.. never mind.. I´m getting a headache
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Originally posted by Terr
    Well, it depends on how you mean by 'opposite', because any opposite has similarities to the original item. For instance, white might not the opposite of black, because they have many similarities. They are both colors...

It really depends on the CONTEXT, in other words, in what WAY are they opposite? Nothing is "totally" opposite to something else.
    This is why I mentioned that there are tangible opposites, but not complete opposites. Even if you had two things that had NOTHING in common and were COMPLETE OPPOSITES, they're still not complete opposites because they do have the fact that they are the opposite of something in common.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

In the morning, I like to eat fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies.

Meaningless sentence ey?? hehe But, what would be it's opposite? Would it be:

a) In the morning, John doesn't like to eat fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies.
    b) At night, John likes to eat old, cold cookies?
    c) At night, John likes to regurgitate fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies?? eeewwww!!
    d) ...

any other ideas? Interesting topic you brought up Alcatraz

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

'Every action has an equal an opposite reaction' so Einstein said,

though I hear some of his theories have been proved wrong,

so maybe he got this wrong too...

this is the kind of discussion I was waiting for, and I almosts missed it, jeeze.

Opposites do exist, here's why in a history of (western) philosophy sort of way:

Pre-socratic philosopher Parmenides (c.a. 515 BCE - c.a. 440 BCE) claimed that movement was impossible because there is only ONE THING that makes up reality. Because one cannot say that nothing exists, for something has to exist inorder for you to say anything about it. So motion is impossible because moving is going form where one is to where one isn't, but if the is only one thing, it can't go where it isn't because it is already there. . . This was backed up by Zeno of Erea with sever interesting paradoxes. . . but those are another really interesting set of problems.

Then Empedocles came along and said, there isn't One thing, there are 4 (fire, air, water, earth). But that is not really what counts, it is his theory that in order for there to be movement to opposite forces have to react against each other. These two forces were Love and Strife. Opposites.

So if your friend believes in movement, then he bellieves in opposites. If he doesn't believe in movement, the maybe you should investigate his meaning of movement.

And so on, until they make you drink hemlock. . .

Dhej

(that was fun)

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted by hot_ice

Meaningless sentence ey?? hehe But, what would be it's opposite? Would it be:

a) In the morning, John doesn't like to eat fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies.
    b) At night, John likes to eat old, cold cookies?
    c) At night, John likes to regurgitate fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies?? eeewwww!!
    d) ...

any other ideas? Interesting topic you brought up Alcatraz

Greg
    The problem with your sentence is that it are in fact many sentences (propositions in one sentence)
    Pa = In the morning...
    Pb = I like to eat fresh...
    Pc = hot chocolate chip cookies

Pa ^ Pb ^ Pc

The opposite of your sentence could be

- Pa ^ - Pb ^ - Pc

or

- (Pa ^ Pb ^ Pc)

this is if you take the negation of all parts of your original sentence, otherwise all kind of combinations are possible.

It's the same problem as occuring in the following sentence:

"the present king of France is a bald headed man".

is this sentence true or false?

if you say false cause there is no present king of France (it's a republic)
    than you are also saying that he has hair?
    so you have a contradiction then? a man that doesn't exist but has hair?
    or perhaps you did not knew France is a republic and thought the king has hair?

This problem is solved when you see the parts in the sentence, the sentence becomes sentences.

i will stick in the principle that opposite do attract!?
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Banned
    <MeBeingDumb>
    this is a wierd one. is infinite the opposite of nothing? if something is never there, then it is infinatly not being there. but if something is infinite, then it has always been and will be there so really it isn't there because it will never go away.

what i'm trying to say is infinte and nothing are the same thing!
    </MeBeingDumb>