Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opposites

In truth, it's a philosophical argument that's rather silly.
    Of course, most philosophical arguments are silly, if you come down to it. Why dont we just forget 'em all and get on with out lives?
    Why am I still here?

Originally posted by Alcatraz

Of course, most philosophical arguments are silly, if you come down to it. Why dont we just forget 'em all and get on with out lives?
    I'm with you, this is starting to make my head hurt.

oblio
    quit the pseudo philosophy. the adjective dark does exist. It is when light is not reflected into the eye. the adjective light occurs when light is reflected into the eye. Obvious there is an opposite here. Light reflecting into the eye and light not reflecting into the eye.

Thank you oblio, that's just the short and sensible thing I was looking for.
    Why am I still here?

Originally posted by Alcatraz
    I disagree, philosophical arguments are not all silly, IMO. Some of them are very intriguing. This particular one is rather obviously (as oblio pointed out) not one of the intriguing ones (to me anyways).

Anyhow, the kind of discussion on whether or not all philosophical arguments are silly is probably best left to another thread.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

But most philosophical arguments are unnecessary, just a bit entertaining. And this may or may not be of interest to you, I'm just trying to make an argumental point.
    Why am I still here?

Lightbulb Lights

Lights on

Lights off

Lights on

Lights off

Lights on

Lights off

Lights on

Lights off

Hey, cool, I get it now. Darkness cometh when the switch goes down............
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Well, it depends on how you mean by 'opposite', because any opposite has similarities to the original item. For instance, white might not the opposite of black, because they have many similarities. They are both colors...

It really depends on the CONTEXT, in other words, in what WAY are they opposite? Nothing is "totally" opposite to something else.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thumbs up

Computer logic is based on opposites.
    It's called Boolean algebra.
    Maybe the opposites are arbitrarily defined,
    but they have a practical, physical origin.
    Every binary digit (bit) is literally represented
    by a switch that is either on (conducting current)
    or off.
    But many things in daily life, that we think of
    as opposite, are only gradations of the same
    thing ie heat/cold are just relative quantities
    of heat.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Of course there is opposites stick your hand in a freezer for a couple of hours take it out then what does it start doing well warm up so that would be the opposite. Cold/Hot. Or take a shower then dry yourself off well now your dry Wet/Dry.

Well, it depends on how you mean by 'opposite', because any opposite has similarities to the original item. For instance, white might not the opposite of black, because they have many similarities. They are both colors...
    Because there similar does not mean they are not opposites. Plus black and white are not colors there shades. Not to correct you or anything it's my opinion

ANTI-HACKERS