Thread: so you think you need a hardware modem...

Computer Forensics

so you think you need a hardware modem...

Most of us despise winmodems. I know I do. It is common knowledge that winmodems make life hell in a linux system. especially on a laptop where the modems are mostly internal now. Well, good news people. 90% of the winmodems I have found are ltmodems or Lucent Technology(hence the lt) Anyways, one of the best bets to get your stupid winmodem working in a linux system is to go here: www.heby.de/ltmodem . This site is by far the best resource I have found for getting the proper drivers for your kernel version. Just DL the right *.tar.gz file, unpack it on your system, and run the tests to see if you have the right things installed to build the ltmodem.o module. The scripts used are very well written and will tell you what is missing during the diagnostics. If anyone decides to try this, and you have trouble, come join us on irc.antionline.com for real time help, we can have you up and running in no time.

for those of you that don't know, a winmodem is not really a modem, it is controlled by software in the system rather than the hardware on the modem.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Smile Winmodems

I think those that do know what winmodems are do dispise them.
    Thanks for the link hog.. That should help my box at school. It currently has mandrake on it but it'll work untill i can get a different distro. I'll download it tommorow and I'll be joining you on irc cause I know I'll need help. Is there any way to fix a winmodem on windows so it's not controlled by the software?

Remote_Access_

Computer Forensics
    Remote: unforunately there is no way to make a winmodem something other than what it is. Which is a stripped down modem that is controlled by software.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I despise winmodems. They are basically a wall socket and nothing more. The software is expected to do the work the hardware used to do. Of course the software is nowhere near as fast and efficient. Also if you intend to run any OS other than some flavor of windows, you are screwed. When I switched to linux I was hesitant to buy a new modem, and instead went to http://www.linmodems.org and tried for nearly 2 weeks to get my modem to work. Finally (after I got paid) I went to the computer store and picked up a hardware modem that works great with linux, in fact im using it right now. The thing is I tested windows on it too and noticed an increase in speed of 50%. This was enough to convince me of the evils of the sofware/winmodem.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    Well.. On info about WinModems... Why they suck so much.. And how to get them to work in *nix go here.