Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NetBIOS newbie

Smile NetBIOS newbie

I have trouble understanding about the concept of NetBIOS anybody willing to help will be greatly appreciated

Teaching is a virtue Learning is for Humbleness

Netbios enables file sharing across networks. If your drives are incorrectly configured, allowing file sharing, you can potentially allow a hacker to map a drive to you, and giving them full file system access to yuor computer.

I think that companies enable netbios to enable them to conveniently access various data files. Eg. If a variety of people need access to the same files, put the files in one place, and get everyone to map a drive to it.

Also, with NT, if you are familiar with the nbtstat command, this can pick up hostnames, login details, Mac addresses, IP Addresses etc from the Netbios UDP crap that your computer is broadcasting on a regular basis.

If you want to see how much netbios traffic your computer slurts out, simply install a personal firewall on your PC and log all outbound and inbound netbios traffic (Ports 135-139 WNT, Port 445 for W2K (I think). It is heaps!!

If you want further info, simply let your fingers do the walking (typing) and type www.google.com
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I am a cracker
    If you would spend 5 minutes of your time and READ THE OLD THREADS YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR I wrote how to disable netbios!

If you would spend 5 minutes of your time and READ THE OLD THREADS YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR I wrote how to disable netbios!
    Well, if it was that simple, 'I am a cracker', I'm sure that lordhaxor would have done so...
    Unfortunately, JP has removed the ability to search forums for information, and going through the all the forums (as people are often lax in choosing where to post their threads) trying to find it isn't fun, especially on Dialup (although it is better now that it was before)...

But as you can see, lordhaxor was asking about the concept of it, not the disabling of it. Now, you may have covered this in your post, but I don't know, as I couldn't find it.. as JP has also removed the full post history.

Teeeny Tiny Addition/Correction to SoggyBottom's post.
    NBTSTAT is included in Windows 9x also.

^ Man that was really tiny wasn't it... oh well...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

well guess what? you're in luck.. i happen to have a file on NetBIOS concept.. covers everything you need to know about NetBIOS..

An good site with information is www.cultdeadcow.com
    check out Sirdystics page, it has lots of info on Netbios. He´s the guy that made Backorifice too.

Unfortunately, JP has removed the ability to search forums for information, and going through the all the forums (as people are often lax in choosing where to post their threads) trying to find it isn't fun, especially on Dialup (although it is better now that it was before)...

Hello Guys!!!

JP has not removed the SEARCH feature on the site . The search feature which used to be located in the main page was relocated. It can now be seen as one of the links inside the Discussion Forums page . From the main page, in the top-most left side corner, we can see the SITE MENU, several links are enumerated there, one of which is the Discussion Forums page . Once inside the Discussion Forums page, several links are listed above the page and one of which is the Search posts link

A blessed day to all! .

"I expect to pass through this life but once. Therefore, if there be any kindess I can show, or any good thing I can do for another human being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."....William Penn

Talk about putting it in a hard to find spot...

Man I was missing that search'n....

Thanx Alexzel!!!
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hello lordhaxor!

Good day to you! I suggest you check-out these links:

1) www.ossir.org/ftp/supports/96/netbios-1.html
    2)www.ossir.org/ftp/supports/96/netbios-2.html
    3)http://huizen.dds.nl/~jacco2/samba/smb.html
    4)http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...212633,00.html

Moreover, it will be best if you spend some time reading the old threads in the forum. Just type-in the key word Netbios and surely you will be directed to several pages of past posted discussions regarding it.

Have fun!

A blessed day to all

"I expect to pass through this life but once. Therefore, if there be any kindess I can show, or any good thing I can do for another human being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."....William Penn

Hello Matty!

Np

Have a nice day!!!