Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Or Windows Xp?

I am a cracker
    If you don't want a windows system, you may want to consider a dual boot system for the time being, because if you get into trouble with linux, you will nedd to load a familiar OS to fall back on. Any system can be dual booted.

I have no clue about dual booted! Thanks for the reply and the link to redhat that help me out a lot I made my choice I am going to but redhat 7.2 thursday

Well I have been using Mandrake for a while and still learning. It is not my main OS because I'm not that good. Try here http://www.linuxnewbie.org/ they have a nice forum also to help you.

Re: Linux

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    You can have more than on OS
    on your box but it slows it down incredably.
    Just for the record: Multiple OSs on one box won't slow it down. But there could be some hassle involved. But that is antoher thread......
    ---
    proactive

Thumbs up

your choice of rh is a good one. There are other distros you may want to consider later, once you are more familiar.
    Also if you choose to work in the IT industry you will help your prospects by learning one of the "industrial" ux versions.

good luck and let us know how it goes. Oh and glad you chose ux over xp.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Computer Forensics
    ANTI-HACKERS: Linux gaming is a whole other story. While some games(very few) have made the jump over to linux, most have stayed away. Linux is just not a gaming platform.

Word processors: there is always star office www.staroffice.com (yay its free!) and both gnome and KDE have their own little versions of word etc built in to it.

AV: When was the last time you heard of a linux/unix virus? Most of the "viruses" for a linux system are just exploits that cause destruction in the system. As long as you patch your system, you should be fine.

Linux and unix are more of the server/workstation type OS, not really for fun and games like Microsoft products, you generally have to have an idea of what you are doing on it to make it work. If not, there is a whole world of knowledge in the man pages and online.

best of luck.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Re: Re: Linux

Originally posted by proactive

Just for the record: Multiple OSs on one box won't slow it down. But there could be some hassle involved. But that is antoher thread......
    - Ermm... do you have more than one OS on your box? Try to use windows and any distro of linux and you'll see that it's significantly slower than just using one OS.
    Just for the record: Yes it will. :rolleyes

Remote_Access_

Yes I have. One partition with RH and one with win2000. Doesn't slow down my box. (Although, win2000 ****ed up my Lin partiotion). So ermmm, I think you're wrong. Maybe you can explain why two seperate partitions would slow down my box? It's not like I'm using both at the same time, so there should be no overhead.
    ---
    proactive

If money isn't an option, then you might want to consider getting another computer, put redhat on one, and win xp on the other. It would be a little more costly, but if your girl wants to come over and use aol while you are messing around with redhat, it would probably work out better. Then you get to play around with some networking too.

And who doesn't want an extra computer?
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

I can give you some advice from experience. Not the experience of an expert Linux user, but experience with the scenario you are talking about.

I had WinXP and also wanted to try a Linux OS. I have a computer mag with RH 7.1 - so I decided to partition my HD and install RH on it. I had a few troubles with the monitor settings, but the AO IRC community helped me out with that one.

Right now I've got both OS working fine (dual-boot). However, I wouldn't recommend, if you are not experienced in Linux, to have it as your only OS. If I had RH as my sole OS, I would be totally lost. I have a winmodem, thus Linux cannot use it, so Internet use would not be an option. I'm gradually learning about Unix/Linux - I'm in the middle of reading a text book on Unix, so hopefully I can gain experience from there.

Anyway, WinXP is really good. Very user-friendly and, as I upgraded to it from Win98, I can say that I find it much much better (and faster - I have a Celeron 400). However, I would recommend you to dual-boot with RH, as it is good to learn a new OS, especially Linux - which I'm learning is very powerful and has a large community of helpful people, many of them right here at AO.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Use XP if your too stupid to own a computer
    Use linux if you wanna learn what computing is really about.