Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Or Windows Xp?

I am a cracker

Post Linux Or Windows Xp?

I am wanting to get a different Operating system for my computer I am really good with computers (all microsoft O.S'§) That is I never tryed to use linux or unix. But I really want to try to learn all Operating Systems of unix that is I have the unix bibles all the rainbow books plenty of computer manuals texts etc...My question is if I install linux can I still access the internet with(AOL) <----I know to get a real IS.P but my girlfriends friends all have AOL! I am currently running Windows 98 S.E on a 56 k connection! Can you have multi Operating systems on a home computer? I found it office depot in Y-bor had linux Redhat 7.2 for $69.00?
    Or should I buy Windows XP I just wanted to see whats it about. Whats the best operating system to buy and EASY to use from the Unix family? Money is no object!

Talking Linux

It's a matter of prefrence. I haven't used red hat yet but from what I've heard
    it's a good OS. I've heard a few good things about XP also but it cost a bit
    more than red hat. Yes you can use gayol on red hat. AOL even considered
    buying red hat but changed their mind. You can have more than on OS
    on your box but it slows it down incredably. It's up to you though but if
    I had to chose I'd go with red hat.

Remote_Access_

Thumbs up

If you don't have any previus experience with Linux I don't recommend using that as your main OS, anyways, that's just my opinion.

Yes, you can get two OS on a computer, I actually recommend having two separate HDD instead of making a partition.

WinXP looks fine, but I don't think is ready yet if we are talking about security, just get W2Kpro and Linux.

My box (It's called Rosita) has two HDD, each of 2GB, one with W2kpro and the other one runs Mandrake.

<tip>Install Win first and then Linux</tip>
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

I am a cracker
    Thank you Remote_ Access_ you really sound like you know your stuff...thanks

I am a cracker
    If you don't have any previus experience with Linux I don't recommend using that as your main OS, anyways, that's just my opinion.

Well OSO what do you recommend I should buy? I really want to try to stay away from Windows operating systems AND GO FOR UNIX OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF UNIX LINUX SOLARIS ETC NEED HELPP

Thumbs up

By personal experience, to start out, get yourself Mandrake. Some ppl don't like it, but for me it was very easy to install and have a first look. RH is also very user friendly.

There is alot of ppl going for SuSE too, but to run AOL I know you need RH or compatible (mandrake is very compatible, I don't actually know if it runs AOL though), anyways, most of the programs written for Win are also coming as available for RH (or compatible).

Hope it helps!
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

well, since u hv intended to change, ur best bet will be redhat. its easy to install and u hv a choice of gui (gnome or kde). its gui is very close to those of win. the other think is before u install redhat, make sure u hv all the needed drivers, esp the display and modem. good luck.

rgds
    de

I say go with your gut i don't blame you for not wanting winblows i have same os as you and trust me i,m going to switch soons i get some cash because my computer crashes all the time i want something that doesn't crash. Some people suggest linux but i don't know anything about it. How is Red Hat for supporting hardware and software? Like you see most programs here where i,m from say win 95 and up or some linux?

ANTI-HACKERS

Computer Forensics
    Personally, I think Mandrake is cheap ripoff of linux(if that's even possible). At the moment, I have a dual boot system of XP( I don't reccomend it) and Red Hat. Among other systems as well. There are some things to consider... If you don't want a windows system, you may want to consider a dual boot system for the time being, because if you get into trouble with linux, you will nedd to load a familiar OS to fall back on. Any system can be dual booted.

ANTI-HACKERS: check here: http://hardware.redhat.com to see about hardware compatibility. Personally I think it has excellent hardware support, and great community knowledge.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Wow thats a big list ok i,m convinced about the hardware how about software like games,word processors,AV so on and so on? any input would be great

ANTI-HACKERS