Thread: Recovering Unix files

Banned

Recovering Unix files

If you keep your system defraged on a regular basis, it's possible to recover. Deleted inode blocks can last for a long time. If you do delete a file by mistake, make sure you put your system on a safe state right away, meaning, stop all processes, go into a single user mode and unmount the partition. Then make a copy of the file system on that partition using the dd(1) command. Bring your system to a multi user mode again and start your search.

Example
    name_of_deleted_file -n recover.dsk |fgrep "directory:0:1"

You will probably get a few versions of the deleted file, so make sure you look at the attributes, dates and etc..

My 2 cents worth...

hehbris
    mucho docs at recover.sourceforge.net/linux

Re: cool post

Great Info. I also recommend a regular backup of data.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Dump maybe??

okay so I've heard interesting things here and there about recovering through the dump command..... :::joy:::

never played with it, but I'd be interested in hearing about any successful/unsucessful attempts at this method

:::I backup regularily, never really had to stretch for a rcovery... well I have put a drive or two in the freezer for clients now and then but a dead drive is way different from a deleted file:::

JRC

Hello Errata!

I was browsing the old threads, and had bumped into this informative thread of yours. Thanks for the info. Keep-up the good posts!!! Hope to see you more in the discussion boards

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~ William Penn

Thanks for the info Ladybug...
    I wanted to know how to do that, after an unfortunate little incident with my documents directory.... had a backup, so all was well, but now I know how to get them back next time...

Thanx!!!
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"