Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So it isn't all M$'s fault...

I believe the real problem is that people do not want to have to waste their time and effort fixing a product that never should have had the bug in the first place. Why doesnt microsoft release a new product with the bug fixed? It would be too easy.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Angry

I wish I had just $10.00 for evetime time the computer guru at one of the companys we outsource to or contract with. Said :
    'Hotfix? Whats that?" or "What patch?" or "Huh?" (Followed by this shallow dumb look).

Thing is, I don't blame it on them. MS has a poor track record of notifying people of bugs or fixes. It's usualy after someone has exploited the bug or hole and let the news media know. Then to find out MS new about it. That's what gets me upset. They already know about the problem. Then they rant and rave saying people should keep it to themselves and nobody would find out. How nieve do they think we are. Everytime they release a windows candidate, beta, upgrade, or release. Every hacker and script kiddie in the world is looking for a hole. Since MS dominates over 90% of the work station and home computer in the world. I would rather them come right out and say oops. Look what we found, here is the fix.

Give us IT Admins a break MS.....PLEASE...............
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

those consultants (gurus -?) that your company uses suck. but, actually, there are one or two that we use that aren't the brightest lights either.

I wonder if ao wants to start a poll memberwide on this issue and send the results to m$.

What do you think?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Well people are not aware of them coz the media "TV" havent told them.. so with in few mins.. I, s0nIc, will e-mail and msg all TV news stations here in australia about computer security.. bold step? probably .. but hey.. if the media manage to scare the hell out of normal users because of some VB script written worm.. why cant they influence users to download patches and install firewalls.. after all most ppl believe what they see on TV especially the news..

This is a step in the right direction s0nIc, I hope someone decides to listen. You probably would recieve more attention with a threat of a virus or trojan though
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

then they'll label me as a cracker... :P

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I don't see a problem with user friendly front ends in general. But at some some point there's a trade off between user friendliness and giving the user more control (this usually means a more complex UI).
    I agree completely with you, smirc. A front end is not a bad thing (although some unix admins will differ greatly...long live the CLI!) however, the minute you dedicate more resources towards making the front end a glitzy interface that allows them to do God-knows-what and stop actually making the code on the backend smaller and more efficient with bug fixes, that's where your problems arise with security, crashing, stability problems, memory problems, etc...

Sacrifice for security and stability should never be made for a better looking frontend. Get more people or spend more time...it's that easy.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I agree that microsoft has alot of holes but I have been running Windows for years and never had one virus on my systems. That is because I have my virus scanner up to date almost daily and i am not dumb enough to open email that looks suspicious.

I think that the biggest security hole is the user.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Re: So it isn't all M$'s fault...

Originally posted by zigar
    OK so M$ writes software that's hole-ier than god...but at least people could do is patch their systems...i'd say serves em right for whatever they get...except that they're making the whole net a more dangerous place...
    Right, but it still is MS' fault. Saying it's not is like blaming the families who died by driving SUVs with Firestone tires for driving those SUVs. Most people don't actually KNOW that using MS Outlook/MSOE is a dangerous proposition. It's not ignorance, it's simply lack of knowledge, and they are fundamentally different things.

Microsoft is still to blame, the word on patching systems just hasn't got far enough.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Talking

go sOnIc go. <drum rolling>.......
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.