Thread: Mandrake 8.1

Exclamation Mandrake 8.1

I recently installed Mandrake 8.1 on my machine just to try it out. I had 7.2 before and it worked pretty good, I didnt like some of the changes to the GUI and some of the first time wizards where a pain. So I decided to un-install it. Simple right i mean its linux. WRONG!!!

First I had to get delpart.exe which was part of NT resource kit to delete the linux partitions because fdisk couldnt delete them. Second off, doing a fdisk /mbr does not remove the lilo-grub boot loader. I need to know how to remove the bootloader So I can put on a different version.

Thanks.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

First of all hello spazzmatrix. I am a Mandrake Linux 8.1 user myself so Ill try to help. I had a similar problem when trying to delete the linux partitions. Instead of using a MS tool, try using Partition Magic. It will easily remove partition from many OS's. Next, the newbie wizards on mandrake 8.1 are known to have a never ending loop built into them, so do not use them. Set the settings for your network and hardware at the Control Center. Another thing, do not tell your computer to connect to the internet at startup if you have a dial up connection. If there is no dial tone, it will never stop trying to dial to the isp, and this will cause you a bit of trouble. As for restoring the windows mbr, I had no problem when doing this on my install, so Im not sure what is wrong with yours.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

well i tried it on another computer and the mbr had no problem, i think it is just someting with the hard drive on the other computer.

Thanks lots.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

Originally posted by ThePreacher
    Instead of using a MS tool, try using Partition Magic. It will easily remove partition from many OS's. Next, the newbie wizards on mandrake 8.1 are known to have a never ending loop built into them, so do not use them.
    I could'nt agree more. I posted this in another thread on Linux installs. Get a copy of Partition Magic. It has save my as#@% a number of times.

I just went from Debian to the new Mandrake 8.1 myself on my tux box. I like it so far. You are right about the wizards though. Don't use them. They are more trouble than not. Also, don't use the Boot Magic that comes with PM if you run XP without creating a small FAT (100mb is plenty) partition at the begining of the drive. Don't do it in FAT32, because XP will hide it then you can't boot into LInux and sometimes back into XP. Just use LILO for the whole shoot'n match after you set it up with PM.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Or you can get a copy of ghost that has gdisk.exe on it. That blows away anything and everything.

P.S.
    A malicious little trick I've played on people was to put it in their login script. So user logs in and BOOM no more partitions. hehehe. Of course I was the one that came over and fixed the machine afterwards. But at least I got a laugh out of it first.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson