Thread: Tech advice needed-

Tech advice needed-

I have an IBM 2628, A21m ThinkPad laptop. It is BIOS/hard drive password protected.
    Does anyone know how to jumper this model or an IBM master password to bypass/disable the hardware security?

Pull the battery out. It's shiny and looks like an oversized watch battery.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

I have worked with several IBM laptops. For the most part removing the battery has not worked (on newer ones) as well most don't have a CMOS reset jumper on the main board. This is because of the problems with laptop theft. On 90% of the IBM laptops I've fixed because of this, it involved motherboard replacement. You can however try a few of the bootup floppy utilities that can overwrite or reset the BIOS password. They can be riscky though. But if nothing else works what have you got to lose. Check with the IBM website and see if they have the manual for download in .pdf. They do for some models. If not search the web for the boot disk utilitys. I have some, but had them fot awhile and can't remember where I got them all.

Good luck...........

PS: If you know the company it came from. Contact them and go see them and let them reset it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

My stepfather used to work for thinkpad tech support. I just asked him, and he says basically if you forgot the password, you could try taking it into an IBM repair centre and getting it replaced or something to that effect. It could take a while though. It's all about laptop theft, as was mentioned earlier.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Wink

I do in fact have this very same laptop. The other members replies are correct, so take it to the ibm depot and they will turn it around.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.