Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft buys Redhat!

Unhappy Microsoft buys Redhat!

Does anyone know if this is real or not? I have a link from the microsoft page, check below.

http://www.microsoft.com&item%3Dq209...8825GHU_98.asp
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Angry

pls tell me it's a joke. gaah. <rushing to toilet to lose entire lunch> it can't be.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Red face D'oh

Here's the FAKE article from the link:

After months of secret negotiations, Microsoft finally acquired Redhat. In the coming months, Microsoft will be integrating the RedHat Linux distribution in its .NET environment. Core subsystems of Windows XP will be integrated in the new Linux.NET distribution. XFree will probably disappear as well, Microsoft has been secretly porting its own desktop environment to fit the upcoming Linux.NET. Sales will start in mid March. Current owners of RedHat Linux 7.2 and RedHat Linux Professional will receive a discount when upgrading.

Remote_Access_

Nope, I don't think this is real. First, when I went to click on the link, I got a warning about how this webpage may be faked. Secondly, why would Microsoft want to integrate RedHat into anything? For that matter, why would they want to integrate Windows XP into anything Linux? They think of Linux as a serious threat to their monopoly, and simply wish to crush it as quickly as possible. Also, there are English errors in the text.

<grasping Suse and Slack distros> If this is true, this could start a "holy" war amongst the OS's. I'm just curious as to how M$ finagled RH from IBM......... Well, my day WAS going pretty good...........
    I just keep my Windows partition around so I can mount it like the b*tch that it is.

Windows has detected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot.

Just found out it is indeed a hoax. Looks like a hack job. If you click the link you'll notice an ip redirector. 212.254.206.213

Which turns out to be across th pond some where..

Put in IP at this site, to find who owns it...

http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois/
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Uhh guys, the site's obviously faked, look at the address again:
    http://www.microsoft.com&item%3Dq209...8825GHU_98.asp

See the "@" symbol there? All you do is connect to 212.254.206.213 and view that webpage with www.microsoft.com&item%3Dq209354 as your username.

Funny, but not true at all.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

You guys will fall for anything. Dont believe it till you see it.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Thumbs down Fake

Take a look at the redirect in the URL. It goes to: 212.254.206.213
    This is owned by datacom.ch.

Very simple:
    Trying to resolve 212.254.206.213 - done!
    -------------------------
    IP Address: 212.254.206.213
    Host Name: secure.socket.ch

As well look at the web page. It has links that work but directly. When I view the MS site via IE 6.0 it has mouse overs, this page does not..........

Clever but no bannana!

The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I can't believe I didn't think to check the link......DOH!!! Okay, they got me on that one. <feeling stupid> I'm going back to my cubicle now and shut up.
    I just keep my Windows partition around so I can mount it like the b*tch that it is.

Windows has detected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot.