Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senior Member Status

The amount of posts should definitely be raised IMO. I am a member of several other boards and they all have levels of around 400 posts to become "Senior" or whatever they call it..
    While it doesn't stop ppl from posting two word replies or banal drivel with every post...it's normally only the small minority that will take advantage of it in that way. A combination of post amounts and AP should be enuff for most of us to see if the person posting is worth listening to .

Going with a complicated system for advancement would probably lead to too many problems...besides...whats the big deal with being a "Senior Member"? It's not like there are monetary benefits or anything like that .

If I were asked for my opinion, raise the amount of posts necessary and leave it at that.

just my 100 pesos worth..
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

I agree that the current way to achieve Sr member status is misleading to some of our jr members. Perhaps it should be reserved for members who have the knowledge and desire to help out Jr members with thier various issues. I agree with Terr also when he says antipoints should not be a factor. This points are earned as much for our social interaction as they are for knowledge. We should discover a way to track the most helpful members and then reward them in a public post by JP into Sr member status.

Originally posted by Vorlin
    While there seem to be quite a few people that contribute to the whole of the site for security posts, answer questions, etc.. (I like to think I fit in that category), the AP system and the IRC really is based on who you know, who values your opinion, and whether or not you get "op" status on IRC. Example: I like to think I've contributed to AO quite a bit for various things yet I barely get a handful of sentences out of the "more senior" members that have op status on the IRC room. Do I care if I'm an op? No. Do I care that some people think that having such status is some sort of "I'm better than thou"? Yes...it's high-schoolish and doesn't do anything for the community. There *are* cliques on here, whether admitted or not, and all I can do, as well as others no doubt, is continue to contribute to the masses for computer security, answer questions, and other things...

Disclaimer: I'll probably get negative points for this but hey, it's my opinion and it's how I've seen things since I've gotten here. Some things never change.
    Vorlin, you are right. There are ops, im naming no names to prevent retaliation, who abuse their power. Also they never seem to say a word concerning computers or helping answer questions. One of these ops is the reason that freeOn left antionline. I like freeOn, and the way he was treated was wrong. Of course there are good ops too, but the bad ones ruin it for everyone. Being a senior member doesnt mean you can talk **** on everyone else, because some of us dont want to put up with your **** Quad. whoops, I promised not to mention names, oh well Im not afraid of retaliation after all.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Originally posted by ThePreacher

One of these ops is the reason that freeOn left antionline. I like freeOn, and the way he was treated was wrong.

What??? when did FreeOn leave AO? I was on IRC with him the other day? PM me the details please Preacher.(and don't spare the gory details )

It might be best to do a combination of other senior members, antipoints, number of posts, positive contribution to ao's other members and whatever else jp suggests.

Personally this junior/regular/valued/senior stuff might or might not have a bearing on advice given from members. What about a split rating based on some of all the suggestions posted here.

JP - what about a "hot button" to help you calculate the VALUE of antipoints such as, at the bottom or top of each post a member could click on "did this post help?" or something to that effect.

Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

good idea gold eagle..

[the did this post help] or possibly [this post rocks] and [this sucks!!] buttons for instant antipoints..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted by the_JinX
    good idea gold eagle..

[the did this post help] or possibly [this post rocks] and [this sucks!!] buttons for instant antipoints..
    But isn't that basically what the APs are supposed to be for?

All these arcane schemes for calculating Sr member status just sounds like a lot more work for JP to do (like he isn't doin enuff already).
    Realityisanillusioncreatedbyanalcoholdeficiency.

Hi mom!
    Hey, we got to keep the guy busy - what if he might get bored or something!
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

To add my pennys worth how about this:-

1. Newbie, this is what you get when you first join AO

2. Junior Member, next step up from newbie, 100posts needed

3. Member, 200 posts needed

4. AO Addict, 275 posts

5. Senior Member, 350 posts

Seems a fair sliding scale, would mean more commitment to AO to get a 'tag' below your name.

the_g_nee: I think your idea is really good, when it comes to post-amount. This is the best one I've heard so far (in that aspect), and it would definitely not be hard to rescript the board according to those standards.