Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: when is the law broken?

Thumbs up

You've got criminal law, and you've got civil law.
    In criminal law, youv'e offended the gov't and
    can be prosecuted. Under civil law, it's up to
    the offended party to sue you, and show that your
    actions resulted in loss, or were a breach
    of contract etc.
    The Internet, being new, has very little criminal
    law prohibiting specific acts. If disputing parties
    can work out their problems with civil suits,
    there will be no need for additional laws.
    Of course, by analogy, all normal, real world
    criminal law already applies to the internet.
    Things like theft, conspiracy etc are already
    illegal. Portscanning though, I think they'd have
    to sue you, unless gov'ts pass laws specifically
    prohibiting it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

port scanning is very useful in system administrating finding vulnerable networks and prove that your network is secure against such threat. many system administrators alike and also script kiddies do use port scanning to scan on open ports and check it out if it is vulnerable. as long as you behave and doesn't breach threat to the system that you are scanning i think that is still legal as long as you know that port is public. if you encounter a port that it is not open to the public please do keep out and stay away to be play safe.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Well I agree whole heartedly with Zion on the topic of Government/Corporation there seems to be no difference as they are one and the same. He who has the most green back’s wins !!! Port scanning is useful and shouldn’t be a problem if you do not take it to the next step. As far as corps getting information from you wow they just will not stop till they have a cookie in every orifice you own.
    Information should not be illegal at all but lately seems that is no longer so. The more people talk about it and voice there negative opinion on the direction we are headed the better chance you have of being able to do certain things without having everything deemed a threat to security. Gee that’s easy to hang on everything isn’t it? So speaking your mind and not always saying well I am an honest law abiding citizen I have nothing to worry about. As they cuff you and drag you away screaming, because why would you be using that port snuffer if you weren’t up to something bad.

Ok so its lite on port sniffin and heavy on whats wrong with this picture holds up a pic of the world......

There is a problem in that everyone (nation, state, individual, continent, planet, etc...) has a different oppinion of how far is too far. Many people don't like portscanning. So they mark it is being "too far", or wrong. Others, don't really mind. Many people think that all hacking is wrong, including white hat. But, in my not-so-humble opinion, hacking is what keeps the internet alive. One country thinks differently from another. If the internet only existed in one country, computer crime would drop tremendously. But since it IS in different countries, they have different regulations, and different ways of doing things. And I'm going to bed now. Good nite!

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Well I guess this is as good as this thread gets....
    Thx every1 for ur excelent point of views....
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

U.S. Law states that you have broken the law as soon as you gain access to any system you do not have permission to access, even if you dump right out in under a second and touch nothing. They can also extradite you to the U.S. if you don't live there and prosecute you under U.S. law.

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

I feel that Braking into a Non-sensetive system should not be illigal, unless it was with Malicus intent, white-hatterss do alot of good, they enter a system, leave a message as to how to improve theyr security, then they just edit the Log files (so they don't get busted for doing the right thing).

How ever, powerfull tools should be keept off the net... Script kiddies can cause alot of damage, If they wanted to do some thing in the old days the they would have to work and learn how to, by the time they had learnt asll the coding and systems, then they would no longer have the urge to destroy things.....

Well....Thats my opinion.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Noia:
    It has to be illegal to break into some1's system no matter what ur intent is... It's like walking into some1's house just because u checked and found out that their door was unlocked... it's not very nice and it's, well I guess it could be called, trespassing... sounds a little odd when talking 'bout 'puters though.

And yes it would be nice if the click-kiddiots didn't have such easy access to the different tools they use but u can't control the Internet and no1 (not even the U.S. government) should try to... The info has a right to be there if the creators wish to publish it...
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Exclamation A fine line

I think there is fine line between something being illegal and being just outright censorship. Personally, I think the Government should keep their damn hands off the internet. I believe they should keep their hands off it, so people that use it, can police themselves. People who actually use the internet should have their own code of conduct, and if it is being violated, then others she be able to cyber attack them if want to. You should be able to get whatever programs that you want, so you will also be able to get defensive programs too. Personally, I don't mess with the stuff, and I say live and let live. That, and you get what you pay for.
    Just the other day, I downloaded a program, and it ended up being a virus. Who's fault was it. Was it mine, or the person who made it? I would have to say it was mine. I didn't bother to update my anti-virus software or to scan it. I have to take responsibility for it, and not blame a worthless hacker who had nothing better to do with his or her time. These people who don't maintain their machines and get viruses from doing stupid stuff, actually deserve it, in a way. When you use a computer on the internet, you know you have a chance to get a virus from a lot of places so you should protect yourself with the knowledge that is out there. Having a computer on the internet means you should take the responsibility for your machine. What you do with it, is your business. Blaming others for the faults or the viruses you may get, is just your own fault. If you give a gun to someone who doesn't know how to use it, something bad will occur. Its the same with a computer. If people can't learn the rules and protect themselves, then its their own fault. If they can't accept that, then, maybe they should just not use the internet and just use their computers in a closet and not connect to others.
    Let freedom reign!!!