I haven't been here for a few days but noticed the "FreeAgent" fiasco. Well, I also noticed the expectation of a few folks of the chance to do some "Hacking". I too would have loved to know what tools and what could be done. What was very interesting was the replies and results of some of the attempts. It was great to a newbie like myself.

This then brings a question to mind. HAS ANYONE HERE OPENED A war game sever?

A few weeks ago I posted a question about the difference between "Crackers" and "Hackers", I want to learn the art and science of hacking.
To learn to hack and find holes in systems and networks requires the access of such. Now, I have a few systems at home, but not the room to set it up like I want to to lean. And besides that, my wife is pissed at me with all the books and junk lying around. I also at this point only have a 56k connection and not the resouces to get a static IP and other such things.

I want to learn security. I want to know about the tools. I want to know how it's done and how it can be prevented. I bought books, read articles, downloaded tutorials and everything else that I could, but that will not compare to actually having the abitlity to "hack" a real live system.

I do not want to do anything illegal. I have six children and a lovely wife. But I do want to learn this as I believe this is the the job of the future. Now I don't know about you all, but I can't afford the $3-4,000 for the classes, and as of yet which schools and certificates are the best ones to go with. The only way that I can do this is to have a site which allows you to try and learn from. Has Antionline ever though of opening such a thing, along with a forum to post info on it. Or are there any members here that have the means to open such a sever?

I have been in many "security" sites. they all have a lot to look at. But nowhere have I found a "hands on" site that allows one to download tools, understand the cracker mind set, posts the results..ect..ect. I know that it could be somewhat hard to manage, but perhaps a "White Hat" team and a "black Hat" team could be set up...perhaps there are a few members who live near each other could host and be the white hats...

Am I asking too much?...Am I making sense? or maybe there is such a place already and someone here could inform me of it. I'll tell ya, if I had the resources, I set such a place up and I think it would be the most visited site on the net.

I apologize if such a question has already been covered...