Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paranormal Phenomena

This thread are quite big (in different knowledge and subjects), it would be easier to have other threads started up with a not so quite broad varity of subjects. Please RA you started this up can you choose a few topics to discuss around in a new thread(s)?

~micael

Banned
    Black Holes

First step in understanding black holes? --> Dumb holes

Atlantis

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    But those places like atlantas make you wonder don't they?They're actual places but they hold great mysteries.
    I could be wrong, but Atlantis isn't an actual place, is it? At least, there's no proof for it (yet).

Nostradamus

Some Nostradamus-adepts came up with this so-called 'Nostradamus'-prediction a couple of days after the 9/11-fiasco:

In the city of York there will be a great collapse,
    2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos
    while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb
    third big war will begin when the big city is burning.

Here's the original:

L'an mil neuf cens nonante neuf sept mois
    Du ciel viendra un grand Roy d'effrayeur
    Cinq & quarante degrez ciel bruslera,
    Feu approcher de la grand cité neuve

Translated, that's something like

The year 1999, 7 months
    From heaven will come a great King of terror
    The sky will burn at 5 and 40 (45?) degrees
    Fire will approach the great new city

Fake, I'm telling, you! Fake!

Here's another interesting one:

Aupres des portes & dedans deux citez
    Seront deux fleaux, & onc n'apperceut VN TEL,
    Faim, dedans peste, de fer hors gens boutez,
    Crier secours au grand Dieu immortel.

Could be translated as

Near the gates and inside two cities
    Will be two flaws, and nobody noticed it from INTEL
    Hunger, pest inside, by steel people thrown out
    Cry for help to the great immortal God.

Oh my god, did Nostradamus predict the FDIV-bug in the Intel processors??

Ouiya bords

Hmmmm, I played Scrabble against one of those boards once... I kept on winning...

Originally posted by Protocool
    therefore, if there is a living organism in the planet mars or any other planet in the solar system or the big time universe; there is a great possibilty that alien do exist or the so-called paranormal do exist.
    This might be a little late, but shouldn't we define the term 'paranormal' before having these kinds of discussions? 'paranormal' = 'out of the normal' or 'extra-ordinary' ... Now all there's left to know, is what you guys / girls consider to be normal

Originally posted by Alcatraz
    I believe in ghosts: There have been too many sightings for it not to be true, though I don't think I'll ever actually see one. I also hope not too.
    It's always harder to proof that something does NOT exist, than to proof that something DOES exist... Saying something has to exist because there have been too many sightings isn't exactly legitimate proof...But then again, we're talking about the extra-ordinary here, so who needs scientific proof?

If you DO find someone who claims to have psychic powers though, make sure to contact James Randi

Here's Randi's homepage .

Originally posted by Alcatraz
    I believe in the loch ness monster: Again, too many sightings for it to be unreal. No one has explored that lake very well, and there may be hidden underwater caves. And we already know that some animals, like alligators, have been around since pre-dinosaurs so why not Nessie too?
    Again, it's harder to proof that something does NOT exist, than to proof that something DOES exist... In this case, there's no proof for either point of view though...

BTW: how old would Nessie be today?

Originally posted by Uraloony
    I believe in the loch ness monster: There have been "pictures" taken of it. When I say pictures taken, I mean sonar pictures
    There have been taken sonar pictures of large 'unidentified' masses in the Ness-lake. I don't wanna be the 'cold-hearted scientific', but that's no proof

Anyone else have a theory on what the Bermuda Triangle is and why things disapear in it? I saw this on the history channel once and they went over a wide variety of theroys
    The most common theory is this one:

The Bermuda Triangle (aka the Devil's triangle) is one of the two places on earth where a compass points to the real North, and not to the magnetic North... The deviation this causes can be up to 20 degrees. That's more than enough to get lost

The other place is in Japan (aka the Devil's Sea).

Another fact are the extreme fast gulfstreams in the area... Combine this with the unpredictable weather, and there you have your Devil's triangle...

And there's the structure of the oceanfloor (the Puerto Rico Trench, the deepest part of the Atlantic, is in the Bermuda triangle...)

This thread are quite big (in different knowledge and subjects), it would be easier to have other threads started up with a not so quite broad varity of subjects. Please RA you started this up can you choose a few topics to discuss around in a new thread(s)?
    Ahem.. I could post a new thread for all of the variety of topics being discussed
    but I'd rather not see the cosmos filled with that many topics. It would be annoying
    and a waste of time. For example, you wouldn't want the front of AO to look like this:

Conspiracies: by RA
    Ghosts: by RA
    Bigfoot: by RA
    UFOs: by RA
    Locness monster: by RA
    Etc., Etc., Etc...

Now wouldn't I begin to look like a tabloid reporter if I posted that many topics
    when I could post them all in one thread? It may be easier so if you feel up to it,
    go ahead cause I'm not going to. Thanks for the links though.

Remote_Access_

Hello RA !

I did not mean that you should cover the whole frontpage with *.*: by RA. What I meant was that it would be nice with a topic to speak around in a thread rather then tens of different conversations in one thread. But since this thread already are alive and have covered a big area its probably best to leave it as it is and continue to contribute with more interesting points and views .

Ahem.. I could post a new thread for all of the variety of topics being discussed
    but I'd rather not see the cosmos filled with that many topics. It would be annoying
    and a waste of time. For example, you wouldn't want the front of AO to look like this:
    My special interest is about psykology and parapsykology but since its such a major area to cover I just includes some interesting links. For those interesting to discuss more feel free to send me a PM or reply to this thread and I'll happily answer if I can .

Well you got a point but I'd rather keep it limited to a few threads.
    It's bad enough we have ppl covering the front page of AO with
    useless nonsence.. I just didn't want to take up space with all of those topics on different threads when they can just as easily be discussed in a few threads. Catch me drift?
    Check this site out. Google has a good list on this subject..

http://directory.google.com/Top/Scie...Civilizations/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Soci...ranormal/?tc=1

Remote_Access_

Post Life in the universe - Drake equation

There is this very interesting equation invented by Frank Drake in 1961.. It goes like this:

N = R* × fp × ne × fl × fi × fc × L

Where,

N = The number of communicative civilizations

R* = The rate of formation of suitable stars
    fp = The fraction of those stars with planets
    ne = The number of "earths" per planetary system
    fl = The fraction of those planets where life develops
    fi = The fraction life sites where intelligence develops
    fc = The fraction of planets where technology develops
    L = The "Lifetime" of communicating civilizations

I took this from http://www.seti-inst.edu/science/drake-bg.html and from that page there is a link to Drake Equation Calculator, which -that's right, you guessed it- lets you enter values for those variables and then counts out N.
    Who still says there are no aliens?

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25