Thread: Data Recovery

Question Data Recovery

I'm having trouble getting data off an IBM harddrive. It halts the boot process of any machine I put it in (w2k pro/server and XP), so I tried one of those USB adapters and now, I can see the drive but I can't access it, anybody got any suggestions?

Senior since the 3 dot era
    And the original box where the HDD came from?

What do you mean with: I can see the drive but no access?
    Do you see the drive appearing in your POST but you cannot access the partitions?

Have you tried running diagnostic progs on that disk? checked IBM website?

Originally I had a machine running w2k pro and I added this drive to it with no problems, unfortunately I created one huge partition instead of multiple, smaller partitions. In my quest to reformat the drive I attempted to move the data I desired to keep to other machines. I am not able access the drive, I can see the drive in the post and I can also see it from device manager in XP but it doesn't show up in the my computers window. I have tried a few diag programs that I downloaded from IBM's site and they can view the disk but all they can do is erase all the data, which I have resigned to doing as a last resort.

I haven't erased the data yet but I understand that that might be the only option.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Repartiton and reformat? Perhaps

it is an NTFS partition? otherwise (FAT32) use that PowerQuest tool I mentioned in the PM.

You can try to add the disk to an NT4.0 workstation or server, (don't forget to install ATAPI4 (comes with SP4) from microsoft otherwise it cannot see your whole HDD if HDD > 8GB) Perhaps from NT you are able to recover. However it's very unlikely...