Thread: Six arrested in anti-hacking swoop

Six arrested in anti-hacking swoop

Six Italian youths aged between 15 and 23 have been arrested in connection with almost 600 website defacements. ...

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128379
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Good !

website defacement is a stupid way to protest anything. The reason for protesting is to bring attention to and rally support for, a cause you believe in.

what they did is like spray painting "stop anti-graffite legislation" on public building. what better way to put an end to something you believe in.

T€ÐØß1
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Damn straight...

I work and live in Washington DC, and I see protestors all the time...they risk jail time and injury for there cause, what did this kids risk? Nothing...until now...

This should send a message to all those skript kiddies...take it to the street, not the web...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

web defacements as political protest

I think webpage defacements are a perfectly valid outlet for political protest. Often, the object of protesting is to reach as many people as you can with your message, while openly displaying your disaproval of whatever strikes your fancy at the time. If, with a single web defacement, someone can reach the eyes of 1000 people with his/her message, then why is this a bad form of protest?

The problem is not the medium, it's the message. Allow me to explain. Frequently, messages of political dissent are obviously tacked onto the defacement as a way to justify this act. This keeps the person doing them within his or her ethical boundaries. A defaced page with the following message:

----begin----
    BAD STUFF IS HAPPENING IN KASHMIR! PAKISTAN POWER!

greetz to [hackerbob] [0oPOISONo0] [.......]

**** youz to: GROUP HACKALOT, JERKS!
    ----end----

...is just stupid. This is an act void of honest political intentions, the first line is merely a justification for the following two. I have seen webpage defacements that go into length about whatever political message the author wishes to convey, on specially targetted machines, with no one taking credit for it.

If you are against such means of protest, then it is to be assumed that you are against political graffiti, politically oriented vandalism (of all sorts) and things like that. If so, then there is no reasoning with you, as our views cannot mesh. If not, then how can you possibly deny the validity of ANY politically oriented web defacements?

Autumn - I can only assume that your a naive person, and not stupid...

Webpage defacement is nothing more or less than virtual graffiti, not politcal protest. You want to get your message out? BUILD A WEBSITE!!!! WRITE A ZINE!!!! POST TO AO!!!!! Do something that does not invovle the destruction of others work....especially innocent parties!!!!

"Why is this a bad form of protest?" BECAUSE IT HURTS INNOCENT PEOPLE!!!!! WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT TO GRASP!!!!!

Oh well, had to get that out...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

This is a very bad way to protest sumthin.. 1 if ur stupid ull get caught.. 2 u know ur gonna brag and get turned in... 3 its lame..

If u feel this is a good way to protest sumthin... then u probly belive that the crashs into the WTC was a good way to protest sumthin too.. if so ur a ****in moron and i hope u get what u deserve..

_NetSyn_

Keep The Peace.. Or Die In War..
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Hmm. I would agree that it's really lame (I wonder if they'll update the dictionary definitions of 'lame' due to common usage...) for defacers to use the 'One-Political-Message-Line' method to justify their actions. Just to add, I think it is totally inexcusable if the site is deleted and not backed-up by the defacers.

As for the whole 'getting the message out' bit... It isn't a form of protest, it's a form of vandalism. The point of free speech is that everyone has it. To look at it one way, by defacing the website, they are restricting the website owner's freedom of speech. This applies whether the website is the homepage of the KKK, or just a washing-machine company. There is that aspect to be looked at. It's a bit legalistic, not very qualitative, I know, but still...

Let me think of an analogy... Defacing websites is like spraypainting over billboards. Billboards which were put up and given a message by the person who owns them. It is vandalism, pure and simple. The whole 'getting the message out' bit is more of an excuse for the joyride and the thrill of (criminal) adventure. If these punks (or whatever your stereotype) can deface the site, they certainly have the ability to set up their own legitimate source of political views. (Even Geocities or another free hoster, or something!)

It's all an excuse to help them ignore guilty feelings and to try (badly) to justify the act.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Terr
    Defacing websites is like spraypainting over billboards. Billboards which were put up and given a message by the person who owns them. It is vandalism, pure and simple.
    Now be sure not to get me wrong i completly agree defacing websites is jsut as wrong as graffitii however in this example of a billboard let suppose this was a "Nuke Pakistan" billboard And some one graffittied it saying make peace not war, then i beilive in some aspects this is ok. Now if someone wrote "Nuke pakistan" on a got milk bill board it would be entierly wrong, even if it was a possitive message like "make peace" on a "got milk" ad it would still be wrong. Same thing goes for websites.
    I know that i may never be all the things that i wanna be, but now is not the time to cry, nows the time to find out why. I wanted more than life could ever grant me.
    We are the people our parents warned us about.