View Poll Results: Do you want the FBI reading your EMail ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell No!

31 86.11%
  • Yes

1 2.78%
  • I dont care

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CISSP: On-Line Study Group

Lightbulb CISSP: On-Line Study Group

Anyone interested in forming a CISSP study group of AO members? (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)

Post here or PM either myself of MsMittens.

(Don't worry about your age: a 16yo in India was recently certified and one of the requirements is for 3years of experience. If you need ideas about how to get that, join the group )

===
    About CISSP:
    http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=19
    ===
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

As niboreon pointed out, I am too interested in doing the CISSP. I usually hate studying period (Im a more of a hands-on do kind of person) but when motivated I can learn anything.

So please, if you are interested in possibly doing this cert this year, join us. It should be interesting and fun.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Study Group Organizational Meeting

I would like to have a study group organization meeting next Sunday, Feb 2nd in IRC. I couldn't get http://complex.antionline.com/irc/ to display. I was going to look there to see when most people are online on Sundays.

Please suggest times in the format hh:mm xyz where xyz is the time zone (or if you prefer we can go with GMT where PST = -8 and Belgium = +1 or we can go with AO time mening the time of the AO server).....

The CISSP tests a very shallow level of knowledge across a broad array of subjects. Those subjects have been classified into what they refer to as "the 10 Common Body of Knowledge Domains". Hopefully we can all share what we know with each other and learn together.

You can get the official study guide from the (ISC)2 site http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=19

They ask for some information when you register, if you're not working or don't want to fess-up just put "self" where it asks for employer

-----------------------------------------------
    At the most basic level, the 10 areas are:
    1. Access Control Systems & Methodology
    2. Telecommunications & Network Security
    3. Security Management Practices
    4. Applications & Systems Development Security
    5. Cryptography
    6. Security Architecture & Models
    7. Operations Security
    8. Business Continuity Planning & Disaster Recovery Planning
    9. Law, Investigations & Ethics
    10. Physical Security
    -----------------------------------------

For next Sunday think about discussing:
    1. when we should meet (online - of course!)
    2. how often
    3. methodology for going through the 10 domains
    4. what areas you feel strongest in and will tutor the rest of us on
    5. other topics of importance or interest

I'll bring the pizza and beer.

Thumbs up Suggesting A Time

How About 5pm PST (8pm EST) this coming Sunday.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Works for me. What about others in the group?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

For those of us that don't have access to IRC (it's a long story), would it be possible to have what is covered in this session, translated somehow, and posted within a 'forum'??

DjM

Lightbulb IRC transcript will be posted to this forum

Great idea! Sure! We can do that. I'll log the session, zip it up and attach it. I'll accompany that with a summary of what's discussed.

DjM: Do you have any particular suggestions or items that you would like us to discuss?

Well, I don't know if anyone that will participate has taken the CISSP exam. But if there is maybe s/he could provide us with some insight on what we should concentrate on. By this I mean what topics to do a little more work on. Does that make sense?

DjM

Arrow focus

Which topics to focus on are going to be different for everybody. The thing about the CISSP is that it is a very broad exam. It has been described as being "an inch deep and a mile wide", meaning that it doesn't go into too much depth about any particular area but it tests on a vast array of topics.

For example: if you've worked at all within a facilities department or janitorial services or had the priviledge to actually design a physical space, then questions about keys, badges, doors and fences will be easy, but if you've only done programming those things will take some study. Does an 8 foot high fence provide high, medium or low level security?

If you've learned how to use PGP, read the documentation, know what steganography is and play the cryptograms in Sunday's paper, then the section on cryptography will be easy for you, but harder for someone who has only worked with operating systems, hardware or connectivity issues.

The idea of the study group will be that we can work off of each other's strengths. There are some areas of expertise that you now have or that you will develop that I am weak in and by the same token, hopefully, there will be some areas that I have experiences in that you will be able to benefit from.

The first step is to download the study guide.
    Then go through it and mark the stuff you know, have heard about, or have never considered before.

=====

For those who are not participating on IRC at all.....go get the study guide..... I will also post a more complete outline for each section (although not regurgetating the study guide because you can get that w/o me!).

=====

Thanks niboreon, I was pretty sure that was the case. I believe any info. you can post in a Forum on the CISSP exam and study guide will be useful.
    I hope your IRC session goes well, I look forward to the results.
    DjM
    DjM