Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and the 'net...

Kids and the 'net...

Just a quickie....

I'm aware of products such as Net Nanny that will block inappropriate material when children are surfing the 'net, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other ways to prevent children from viewing harmful sites?

your firewall could block certain ip's / adresses..

and there are all kinds of ways u can filter the sites someone can visit..
    filter for words (best) filter for colors (stupid thing my school once tried)..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

umm if you mean are there other products try http://www.cyberpatrol.com

if you mean other than software nannyware - you can have a discerning adult sit with youngster while surfing.

you could make a user profile that restricts www pages acceptable to parent and blcoks others.

hope this helps but maybe I missed your question's intent
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Besides watching them when they are on the 'puter?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I should have added that there are browser addons that allow you to set it or "family" viewing with passwords.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

You could always sign up for Websense. But I'd bet that'd be out of your budget range. Though, it works well for the enterprise.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted by gold eagle
    umm if you mean are there other products try http://www.cyberpatrol.com
    Thanks anyway but I found pages and pages of other software that will do the same job. WebAttack is a always a good place to look for freeware. I was just curious as to other obvious ways I may have over looked. Thanks for your replies..

if you are using IE (and prob some others) you can go to tools/internet options/content and enable ratings filters.

There are a couple of types..

One filters based on RSAC Rating system
    This one isn't so good as it relies on websites to "rate themselves"

One filters based on allow/disallow rules that you set up...

not sure how effective or how easy it is to circumvent but there you go...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Smile

Cyber Patrol is a good one. IMO though. Surfing the net for kids should be a family experiance. Let the parents get involved. That way you learn, they learn, and you control the content. You hear horror storys all the time about kids turned loose on the internet. To many predators out there looking to victimize kids on the web. Besides it would take mosts kids about 10 minutes to circumvent or disable most nanny software. Kids are smater than they let on. My daughter is nine and can do a web page. The things kids learn in school today is nothing like most of us could imagine. A large number of them can work a computer like a fine tuned sports car. So nothing beats good old fashioned parental supervision.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    A great filtering place is iExalt. They have a proxy server that is server side based and is updated statically from their list of banned sites as well as filtering dynamically as a website loads. Their service is $4.95 a month. They have software that can lock the proxy in and can only be unlocked by using the right password.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]