Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux.conf.au 2002

A CD will be posted in a few weeks with hard copies of all the lectures. If anyone is interested in getting a copy of any of these, just let me know =).
    hi smirc,

i'm pretty interested in a copy.it would be nice if you send me an pm when you have these stuff.

cheers,

Hey i'd like a copy too please! Do you know if they are planning to do this conference in any other states?
    thanks
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Ok here's the long awaited LCA 2002 CD stuff that I promised. It was supposed to take 6 weeks to be sent out but what can you do? I've chosen to post some of the more interesting tutorials.

Check the second post of this thread for a list of the tutorials. If there's something in the list that you really want to see but I haven't posted it, just PM me and we'll sort something out. Part of the reason that I haven't posted some things was that they were too big to post as an attachment.

There are 3 attachments to this post so I'll post them separately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lca2002_1.zip

(1) bsd_better.zip

Greg Lehey - Why BSD is better than Linux

In recent years, the success of Linux has obscured the fact that many components of the original UNIX were available in source code without charge, and that one of the leading versions of traditional UNIX, BSD UNIX, has been available as Open Source for longer than Linux.

This paper investigates the freely available derivatives of BSD, also known as Berkeley UNIX, and compares them with Linux.

(2) gcc.zip

Alan Modra - GCC Internals

This talk will introduce some under-the-hood details of the process gcc uses to convert your C program to an executable, with a focus on debugging tricks that will help you on you way to becoming a gcc hacker.

(3) open_ldap.zip

Del Elson - Centralised authentication on Linux using OpenLDAP
    A practical demonstration of setting up LDAP in a networked environment.

This tutorial covers the following topics:

Authentication systems in general.

Host based vs Network based authentication.

PAM, theory and practice.

NSS, theory and practice.

Installing OpenLDAP.

Migrating to OpenLDAP.

Running OpenLDAP.

Making OpenLDAP secure.

Cross platform authentication: Theory and practice.

(4) portNET.zip

Rhys Weatherley - Portable.NET

Describes the progress of the Portable.NET project, which is a free software alternative to Microsoft's .NET initiative, distributed under the GNU General Public License. In particular, the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and C# language parts of .NET.

(5) tcp_udp.zip

Simon Horman - iproxy: Running TCP services over UDP

This paper will focus the implementation issues in sending and receiving UDP traffic when nothing is known about the network the machine is attached to. It will illustrate how to create simple Multicast, Broadcast and Unicast UDP clients and servers. It will also discuss the problems and solutions realised when trying to carry TCP connections over UDP.

lca2002_2.zip

(1) redhat.zip

Paul Gampe - Internationalising Red Hat

lca2002_3.zip

(1) uml.zip

Jeff Dike - Blurring boundaries with User-mode Linux

User-mode Linux (UML) is the port of Linux to its own system call interface resulting in a virtual Linux machine running in a set of Linux processes. This paper will briefly describe the design and implementation of UML and cover in somewhat more detail the work done in the year since LCA 2001. The rest of the paper will focus on the future development of UML and how it will straddle normally inviolable boundaries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

lca2002_2.zip

lca2002_3.zip

Originally posted here by smirc

- Centralised authentication on Linux using OpenLDAP - Del Elson
    hi

i gotta admit, this dude's my boss.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

i gotta admit, this dude's my boss.
    Yeah I talked to him and he knows his stuff .