Thread: Interesting Article on AV Heuristics

Interesting Article on AV Heuristics

FYI...

"Heuristic technologies can be found in nearly all current anti-virus (herein referred to as AV) solutions and also in other security-related areas like intrusion detection systems and attack analysis systems with correlating components. This article will offer a brief overview of generic heuristic approaches within AV solutions with a particular emphasis on heuristics for Visual Basic for Applications-based malware...."

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1542
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

good link zigar...
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Nice

Very interesting.... Good post....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Thumbs up

Good post zigar !

And to all other here at AO can I give the advice to add a bookmark for www.securityfocus.com if you not already have done that (also their mailinglist) .

~micael

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Heuristic scanning can be a bit of a pain at times though, as with Panda Software, it looks for "code-matching" and virus header lookalikes (I think). It's a bit paranoid though and labeled 8 files in my Kodak Transfer software for my digital camera as "suspicious". Fortunately, I had auto-rename off.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.