Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE6 Crashes All The Time

IE6 Crashes All The Time

Since upgrading my Windows 2000 installation from IE5.01 (full of security holes) to IE6 (which presumably fixes the bugs in IE5 and adds a whole lot more) I've found that every time I visit more or less ANY web site, it crashes. This seems particularly apparent with any site that uses PHP or ASP (e.g. AntiOnline)... So I have to use Netscape to visit everywhere on the web, only I don't much care for the Windows version of Netscape - it seems slow and heavy... whereas IE kinda fits in with windows (presumably because it was made by the same crappy software company that made the OS itself!!) but anyway, has anyone got any sduggestions cause I'm sure IE6 ain't supposed to crash every time you try to explore the internet (as per its name!!)
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

well what i'd be doing in this situation is using opera for most of your browsing and then using netscape only when you absolutely have to (opera doesnt like some sites sometimes)

uninstall 6.0 and reinstall 5.5 with spks. It works fine on 2000.

Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I, uh... Can't uninstall 6... I've tried that already, I guess I'll have to just reinstall Win2K, download all the service packs and updates *again* and then find IE5.5 from a cover CD of some computer mag or other. I mean, netscape is OK, but it's kinda slow sometimes!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

AO French Antique News Whore

Lightbulb Try re-installing?

Have you try re-installing IE 6 over himself? If IE 6 is the problem, if should be solved. If it's still crash, then I don't know what exactly to check out. But if it's crashing over PHP and ASP page, it's maybe a module in IE that didn't installed correctly.

Idea come from the fact that installing Win98 on a computer with Win98 not booting correctly sometime solve the problem. Maybe the same can applied to IE 6.0

-Simon "SDK"

I shall try reinstalling IE6 first then, good idea! but if that doesn't work, i'm just gonna have to reinstall Win2k *again*
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

hold on Rewandythal. Try downloadin IE 5.5 and installing it over IE6. Im not sure if this will work, but maybe it will be easier than reinstalling all of win2000 and the service packs. funny when I saw the name of the thread "IE^ Crashes All the Time", I thought "no ****!!!"
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Yeah, well I was kinda stating the obvious, but it made the point I was trying to make in the post, I guess!!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

When I installed IE 6.0 I lost the ablity to do <ctrl>-N to get new windows. I tried reinstalling it same problem. In the end I uninstalled it (rolled back to ie 5.0.1 sp2). I was nervous that the uninstall would fail (many problems doing that with earlier versions). Surprisingly, it reinstalled the old version. For about a week after when I rebooted it asked if I wanted to remove the personalization done by 6.0 (ie delete favorites) I said no and now everything is up and running has before.

My experiance with m$ products is that you should never install the first version released of any product. It seems that the best path is to wait for sp1.

before you do all that re/un-installing, why don't you try running the system file checker. in win2k its only a comand line util 'sfc /scannow'
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”