Sandboxing is how Java work, you create a virtual machine on your computer and you run the program on it. The virtual machine have only limited rights to the OS and the filesystem to prevent malicious code from doing damage.

To transfer this to anit-virus thinking, how about if you could make a virtual machine in real-time that somehow would simulate support for alle the function in your OS. Then you could run a program on it, and if something bad happened eg. there was a virus in the program, you would just not run the program on your pc.

I don't know if this is possible, but I've heard there's someone who's working on such a project. I just can't remember who. I think it would take one fast computer to actually do something like this, so I don't believe it's implemented in any of the excisting anti-virus softwares.

Well, I think it's good thinking though. I mean the ultimate way to guard yoursel from virus attacks, is that whenever you want to do something on your computer, you make an image of your disk. The disk you insert into another computer and do the work there. If everything goes OK, you can do the work on your own computer, knowing nothing bad is gonna happen. If someone could do this on one singel computer, it would be great!

What do you think, is this possible to accomplish?