Thread: IP form internet mail??

IP form internet mail??

Ok, its easy to get an ip form an normal e-mail but how would i be able to get it if that same user got an internet e-mail account..... I am getting pissed i would really like to know who the hell is e-mailing me. Oh and if it is who i think it is i know for a fact they have a dynamic ip so will it do me any good to know what there ip is? I wanna compare e-mails you see heh??

Banned
    Its almost impossible to recover a persons IP from an internet Email address (web mail) because the EMail goes through 5-10 servers..... And im not even sure they show the users IP or spoof it.

and if it is as you said that they/him/her has a dynamic IP address well it wont be that useful for you.. coz what you need is for the person to have STATIC IP Address.. with dynamic.. the address changes all the time.. so it wont help at all..

I've tested this before using several different email acounts and an open SMTP server I, uh...'found' , and I was always able to find my originating IP address. Since I knew what IP to look for it was pretty easy, so I guess it would be more difficult if you didn't know where this person was sending from...but it is possible to find the originating IP address, even from an internet mail account. But as s0nIc stated, if it's not a static IP, it really won't help you.
    \"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I\'m not sure about the former.\" -- Albert Einstein

If it's harassing emails then you could just forward samples to the local FBI office (if you're in the U.S.) and they will be more than happy to check it out for you.

Or set up a rule in your email client to send all email from that person to /dev/null/
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

or you could just have the email admin (maybe that's you?) enter the sender addresses in the blocked list.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

and if it is as you said that they/him/her has a dynamic IP address well it wont be that useful for you.. coz what you need is for the person to have STATIC IP Address.. with dynamic.. the address changes all the time.. so it wont help at all..
    That really depends on the duration of the lease, I've got a dynamically assigned IP address to my cable modem, however it has not changed in 3-4 months. The lease is 10 days, so as long as I turn on the computer once every 10 days(moot point since I only ever turn it off maybe once every 10 days) i'll never loose that IP address. Unless, of course, my ISP goes down again for two weeks as it did 3-4 months ago...(Road Runner sucks, FYI)
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

I don't know what you mean by an 'internet e-mail account', but if it's hotmail and yahoo and the like your're talking about, I believe some of them log the senders ip-address and puts it in the e-mail header. I think hotmail at least, does this. Probably some others also.
    ---
    proactive

Originally posted by shkuey

That really depends on the duration of the lease, I've got a dynamically assigned IP address to my cable modem, however it has not changed in 3-4 months. The lease is 10 days, so as long as I turn on the computer once every 10 days(moot point since I only ever turn it off maybe once every 10 days) i'll never loose that IP address. Unless, of course, my ISP goes down again for two weeks as it did 3-4 months ago...(Road Runner sucks, FYI)

That's a valid point. Perhaps I should have clarified...I was thinking of a dynamic IP in terms of a dial-up account.
    \"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I\'m not sure about the former.\" -- Albert Einstein