Thread: Hows trojens work in general

Hows trojens work in general

Starts by saying im NOT intrested in learning how to use trogens in anyway or wish to use them. However there is a fair amount of chat about them and i wish to learn . I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction to a site with information on how trogens work in general. Thankyou

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Tojans a simply creating a backdoor into the system. It opens up a port and allows incoming connections. Once you are in, you can do what the hell you want (well, almost)
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

Ennis posted 'The Ultimate Newbie FAQ'. In there he had something about Trojans:

The Trojan:
    Trojans consist of a server and a program. The server is sent ot your victim which must be executed and then you can gain access to their computer. Simple but so lame.
    Only script kiddies would use trojans and I advise any self-respecting human not to use these things...
    To avoid getting a trojan on your PC, watch what you are downloading and get a virus scanner.

You can get his entire post here:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...093#post449436

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Thanks to both of your for your help. To refine my question a bit more i was looking for information about how trogens open ports and how they allow someone who is accessing the computer via a trojen and useing remote administration tool (RAT) to maliputlate the computer there are on.
    ForeverLearning

Well, I'm don't know the technical side of how trojans work, but they would open up a port like any other program, such as IE, Opera, ICQ, Eudora, etc. If you have a firewall, it should stop it from opening up a port. Some trojans have names that are similar to Windows applications, so that when your firewall asks you if you want this program to access the internet, you think it's just a windows program, but it's really a trojan.

I found this while looking up trojans on webopedia:
    "The term comes from a story in Homer's Iliad, in which the Greeks give a giant wooden horse to their foes, the Trojans, ostensibly as a peace offering. But after the Trojans drag the horse inside their city walls, Greek soldiers sneak out of the horse's hollow belly and open the city gates, allowing their compatriots to pour in and capture Troy."

I found this a very interesting fact, I never knew this, but I'm sure some of you did.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Banned
    Trojans are dropped behind your system (whether it be by you executing a infected file or a friend who wants to show you he can really hack). When you execute the program the trojan usually adds itself into the registry so it will strat up every-time you start your computer... Then like hot_ice said they listen on a port for incoming connections from the client (the person who infected you)... The worst a trojan could do to your PC is mess with system files... But you do have to know what you are doing.... If you notice something weird going on(missing files, weird processes) download Norton AV, update all the virus defenitions and do a scan on your whole computer.... Hope this helps... I hope you see how this resembles the story hot_ice posted

"The term comes from a story in Homer's Iliad, in which the Greeks give a giant wooden horse to their foes, the Trojans, ostensibly as a peace offering. But after the Trojans drag the horse inside their city walls, Greek soldiers sneak out of the horse's hollow belly and open the city gates, allowing their compatriots to pour in and capture Troy."

Banned
    i think you should check out socket proggramming to get an idea of what these things do or just look at the source code for a deamon and for winblows back orifice. try to find the deamon source code on a linux box or find some sendmail source code or something.

socket tutorial

back orifice src

System_Overload

Exclamation

Hows trojens work in general
    Are you outa your mind? I hope to god you were drunk when you posted this thread. Hows??? I think you mean How. trojens??? Around here we spell trojan with an "A". Being that this is a question you should word your title (How do trojans work in general?). With the title the way you have it I feel as if you were going to tell us (how trojans work in general). Im no english major but your thread title needs to be fixed....

System_Overload