Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Anti-Virus?

Whatever antivirus solution you end up picking. Take a moment to pick through all of its options. Sometimes the level of detail they go to can slow down your system or your connection. This can be easily fixed by disabling some of the features, especially heuristics scanning. If you do end up disabling anything, make sure to schedule a routine full system scan.

and remember... antivirus isn't a guaranteed fix to anything. always always always make backups.
    Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Byd

Very good advice. And in the case of Norton Anti Virus, fixing the problems caused by the AV software itself

Reminds me of those "George's tickets" where a user asked if IT could install her "Anti Norton Virus".
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

And never ever trust ANY one scan 100%. Always get another opinion, or better still, 2.

Personally I think this subject has been beaten to death on every forum ever created. Everyone prefers their own. There are also tests that rate which one is "better".

Yeah, norton's a pain. I used to prefer it, but I've slowly developed a hatred of it.

For a home user, AVG free does all you need. Or screw installing a ram-hogging AV, just hit Trend Micro Housecall (housecall.trendmicro.com) every so often to do a free online scan. Unlike other free scans, it will also attempt to clean what it finds.

Or the free online Pandascan. The most thorough I know of.

Or screw installing a ram-hogging AV, just hit Trend Micro Housecall (housecall.trendmicro.com) every so often to do a free online scan. Unlike other free scans, it will also attempt to clean what it finds.
    The problem with this, is if you do an online scan and it does find "stuff", well how long has this "stuff" been on your PC, or how long has it been zombied...so that everyone else around suffers...if you want to just use online scans then you have already lost the battle, the trick is stopping them at the door.

Trend has a nice feature which will allow the user to do an emergancy disconnect from the internet when it detects the usual driveby browser hijacks, (prolly shouldn't be surfing to that site, but you know users... )so regardless of the "bloat" (with the exception of Norton...sorry IMHO three thumbs down for their software)at least having something to negate intrusion or infection is better as it is proactive not reactive...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Greeting's

Here is a great solution to your problem for free..

Get free version of :
    1. Adaware
    2. Spy-Bot (immunize feature is a good option)
    3. Spywareblaster
    4. A squared

USE ONLINE VIRUS scanner(s) ONCE A WEEK

safety.live.com
    housecall.trendmicro.com

patch windows, Get a firewall (paid is a better option here, configure it well)
    Use Opera (people might say firefox.. even that is good .. IE is good too just configure it..) AND YOU ARE DONE (FOR MOST OF WHATS WRONG OUT THERE)
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

In fact I think the free version of Adaware is better than the professional version which I got, and then found it "hung" during scans. I'd more or less agree with the list above, except A squared drove me round the twist when I had it installed with its constant scanning and harrassing me about stuff I'd told it to ignore.

I'd also say real time protection is worth quite a lot - it's OK doing online scans but I like being able to scan individual files if I'm not sure about them, or be told that something I've downloaded or been sent is actually a virus. Yes, virus protection uses resources but nowadays most PCs have the resources to spare.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by cgkanchi
    I think he means anti-spyware? Well AVG acquired Ewido, which made a very nice anti-spyware product, so AV-anti-spyware is basically Ewido with the AVG interface?
    In fact I just downloaded and installed it on 3 PCs and it so far I like it. Given that I've got two PCs where the pro version of Ad Aware now seems to hang during a scan, I hope it will prove a useful replacement.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature