Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Anti-Virus?

Oh come on...this topic have been covered Many times! Just do a search...and read.
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

Norton is actually fairly poor in detection rate. Somewhere around 94%. Even McAfee is better than that. Kapersky has the highest detection rate in the 2 studies I've seen, 99%.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Norton is actually fairly poor in detection rate. Somewhere around 94%. Even McAfee is better than that. Kapersky has the highest detection rate in the 2 studies I've seen, 99%.

as you said its very poor in detecting viruses normal sub seven repacked and scrambled a bit can pass by him, thats why i would have to say ether panda or kaspersky they are not much to pay but they are worth every $ kaspersky got their internet security out now which is anti virus mail spam firewall phishing all in one and it works just great
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

I would recommend Avast or AVG Free. I'm assuming they both work with Win 98, it's so long since I used it! I know Avast works with Vista as I installed it on RC1.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I use Avast Anti-virus. Its a good freeware one. I suggest trying that one it. I beleive i got it in AO's downloads section but if not here is the link.
    www.avast.com/eng/download.html

Antionline Herpetologist
    Hey secure_101, you might want to look at the date on the post before replying to it.The last post on this thread was over four years ago

Cheers,
    cgkanchi

EDIT: As a consequence of the missing flashy date thing, most long term members ended up posting as well. I got tipped off when I saw Alexzel's name on one of the posts. She hasn't posted in bloody ages .
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

squall75, I suggest using ClamWin it's free(GNU, will forever be free) and doesn't hog up your resources like most anti viruses do. You can update and download definitions for free also.

http://www.clamwin.com/

Antionline Herpetologist
    Well, since this discussion has started again up anyway, I'd recommend AVG free if you want a free one, NOD32 if you're ready to pay. ClamAV is good, but it doesn't have a resident guard, which IMHO, is a must for any antivirus. NOD32, I'd highly recommend, because it's fast, has a tiny footprint and fantastic detection rates.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Blast From the Past
    norton is the anti-christ

do you know how many computers we get in every day with problems like "i can not install this program" "i can not send attachments through my computer in email" "my computer is so slow, what is wrong"?

Half the time norton is doing more harm then good because it bogs down the system. And it does not catch everything... although there virus library is nice and the individual virus removal tools rock

its not free but it is awesome
    trend micro - pc cillin

its light weight, its fast, it rocks

yes, bestbuy burns into your brain that trend micro rocks but i use it on all my comps and i enjoy it. its nice.
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    I use Avast Anti-virus. Its a good freeware one. I suggest trying that one it. I beleive i got it in AO's downloads section but if not here is the link.
    www.avast.com/eng/download.html
    The link was in my post above!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature