Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Morphues Exploit Question Answered

Lightbulb Morphues Exploit Question Answered

I keep hearing of people asking the question "whats with the morphues/kazaa exploit; it's not really hacking?" Heres where their wrong. A person can leech exe, zip, doc, wrd, txt, etc... files from the victims computer. It's a hacking exploit because the victim only intended to share their mp3 files, not there exe. files. You can get full version software and private texts from someone this way.

Please help me out if you like this article and give me points, thx.

Thumbs up

Its not bad short and to the point but you might have gone on to say that once people realise that they can be hacked through Morphues that they may stop letting people uploading mp3s from them. This is a real problem a few crackers ruin it for the rest of the people who just want to get some different tunes.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with morpheus you can share any file you want be it .exe, .doc, .txt or whatever, as long as it's in your shared folder. Also, you can view these files on someone else's computer via a web browser. Just connect to their IP on TCP port 1214 and you can view/launch the files contained in their shared folder. Bottom line, if you don't want to share something out...don't put it in your shared folder. As far as this being a hack, well, I wouldn't consider it a hack. If there is a different vulnerability out there that I seemed to have missed, please let me know, but as far as launching files other than mp3, that seems to be a feature common to the morpheus program. Questions, comments suggestions are welcome as always.

-The Eeshman

Banned

blah

with kazza and morpheus you share all types of files not only mp3's...... it was built that way on purpose!

and you can also block shares from any files u dont want to share

even if you did have read only access to files on my computer what good is that?

It's a hacking exploit because
    You're an idiot who knows nothing - stop trying to spoil it for other people.

Lightbulb Morpheus

Yeah,...once I heard about this exploit, I rigged 'my' Morpheus so it wouldn't share anything. Simply by not giving it server rights. And doubling my protection by manually making none of my files shareable. But yea...I was chatting with a few friends about how they got Borland C++ and VB just because stupid users shared their whole harddrive. That gave me the thought to search for: *.pwl

It was funny because I actually got a few. , sucks to be them eh? But I didn't do anything malacious...I just simply let it pass - happy with my findings. But never-the-less. If your running Morpheus, make sure that ONLY the drives/folders/files YOU want to be shared are REALLY being shared...otherwise some other guy might not be as nice as me!

...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Originally posted by petemcevoy

You're an idiot who knows nothing - stop trying to spoil it for other people.
    Ditto...and It is DESIGNED that way. Any file in the shared folder can be downloaded

Exclamation Just Thought I'd Give An Heads-Up

Brethren!

If you go to today's edition of www.msn.com, I believe you may find something rather interesting, to say the least, concerning file sharing programs...a rather eye-opening article for computer neophytes..."Online Spies"....

So...is this or is this not a hack??? Or is it just a case of some unknowing user accidentally sharing out his/her entire drive? A file sharing program does just that...shares files. Just lock down the files that you don't want to share. Simple as that.

-The Eeshman

Banned
    Wow.. This is sad.... I did a search for *.PWL on KazaA and about 50 people came up
    Most of these were 'default' and 'USER***', but I did see a few administrator and root ... LMAO
    I feel sorry for them