Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My cable modem isn't working

Unhappy Help! My cable modem isn't working

I'm posting this from another computer that has a dialup account.

Anyhoo, my cable modem isn't working. I am getting absolutely no response from the internet, no data of any kind is making its way back to my computer. I have tried switching around every net option I can think of, but nothing seems to help. My cable modem uses DHCP for assinging an IP address, but previously, winipcfg showed 169.254.xx.xx which windows help says is something called "Local Link" which is used when an IP address isn't provided. When I reboot into safe mode, I get a new IP address, but subsequent reboots won't change the IP adress (It usually changes). Also, even with a valid IP address, I still get no response from anything outside my computer. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

AO French Antique News Whore
    My cable modem uses DHCP for assinging an IP address,
    Your cable modem is suppose to get a IP from your ISP and not provide you one with a DHCP server. I don't think DHCP have anything to do with your Cable Modem! You should disable it.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Well, the little info sheets that came with it say to use the DHCP for wins resolution option, as did the tech support guy.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You're call the Tech Support and he was unable to help you? Wow! They realy suck if that the case.

What OS are you using?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I guess first things first, check the leds on the front of the cable modem...You should have three solid lights, unless you have something other than a ericsson, toshiba, or motorola modem...If you do, go ahead and unplug your modem, plug it back in after a few seconds, and make sure that all three lights come on solid again...Once that happens go to winipcfg (I'm assuming you're using 9x), release the ip address and renew it...If that doesn't work check to make sure your NIC is installed properly and isn't sharing any resources with something like your video card or anything that might hog an irq...After that try removing and reinstalling TCP/IP...Make sure it is active by pinging 127.0.0.1...

Most cable services do use DHCP for IP allocation...And most of their tech support does suck...

If none of this works the best thing I can guess is A) Your account hasn't been properly activated on the cable provider's equipment B) You have a bad NIC or C) You have a bad cable. Or possibly a bad cable modem...

Caskethopper
    I hear the Crawling Chaos that calls beyond the stars

Originally posted by SDK

Your cable modem is suppose to get a IP from your ISP and not provide you one with a DHCP server. I don't think DHCP have anything to do with your Cable Modem! You should disable it.
    Cable modems need a DHCP client running. He said nothing about a server.

thesecretfire : make sure your DHCP client is running. I had this problem once, and it was just that i had turned the client off for some odd reason.

Okay, I'm running windows 98, and as far as I know, the cable/card and all the other hardware is fine. It has worked just fine in the past, it just stopped working suddenly. What exactly is a DHCP client and how do I find out if mine is on?
    Also, I've already tried release/renew, and pinging 127.0.0.1 does work, so I suppose that means the port is open/working at least.

Something what also seems to happen with older cable modem's like Lancity or tetryon modems is that the loose sync with with the carier voltage over your cable
    you could try a small service reset wich is quite simple with these older modems just remove the lan cable and disconect the power leave it for 5 min's and then reconnect it should resync itself with the carrier voltage and lisen to the dhcp info from your isp maybe that will be solve the prob if not my guess is either cabling or a defective modem
    \" I love fools and mistakes i\'m alway\'s making them \" (Charles Darwin)

I agree with recca. Until very recently my cable modem required a daily reboot. I resolved this with a modem bios upgrade from the ISP (in my case att). Verify that the light is on for the network card (back of the pc where the cable connects if the light is dead its possible that the line from your pc to the modem is bad.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Thanks for the help guys! I spent some more time with tech support, and since this modem/ethernet card have been working before, and since they had diagnostics to check the modem that said it was alright, I decided it had to be software. So I formatted, and resintalled win95. (Side note: Antionline doesn't look good in 16 colour with IE 3.0 ) Anyhoo, now I have the fun of upgrading to win98, installing drivers for everything, and reinstalling applications