Thread: Tracing...

Tracing...

Ok I might be way off here but I don't understand trace programs. I got VisualRoute andit wants to know an ip address to trace. How do you use this to trace hackers? I mean if you have there ip adress what good is the trace??? I mean its like you have to find something in order to look for it. I know I've gotta be at least partially off-base here so could someone explain it?
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

I am a cracker
    Ok I might be way off here but I don't understand trace programs. I got VisualRoute andit wants to know an ip address to trace. How do you use this to trace hackers? I mean if you have there ip adress what good is the trace??? I mean its like you have to find something in order to look for it. I know I've gotta be at least partially off-base here so could someone explain it?

VisualRoute is a TCP/IP utility for deciphering the route that packets follow on their way to a destination. You can use Tracert to test and measure transmissions on the network. The following code is from a Windows system.

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>tracert 172.173.45.95

Tracing route to ACAD2D5F.ipt.aol.com [172.173.45.95]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 336 ms 350 ms 317 ms ipt-mj01.proxy.aol.com [64.12.103.90]
    2 346 ms 297 ms 338 ms wc4-mtc-G3-0-2.proxy.aol.com [64.12.103.124]
    3 355 ms 338 ms 454 ms ipt-ma05.proxy.aol.com [64.12.105.94]

Alright your question was not very clear but i will answer it as best as possible....

Tracer route is a program to trace where all the packets are routed from. When using tracert u get all the servers plus the final server the person was from. If a hacker tried to acess your system and you were running a firewall , it would detect his ip. When you got his ip you could trace it with tracer route and find what internet service provider he was from and therefore report him.

I hope i clarified tracer route for you...
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

Banned
    Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>tracert 172.173.45.95

Tracing route to ACAD2D5F.ipt.aol.com [172.173.45.95]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 336 ms 350 ms 317 ms ipt-mj01.proxy.aol.com [64.12.103.90]
    2 346 ms 297 ms 338 ms wc4-mtc-G3-0-2.proxy.aol.com [64.12.103.124]
    3 355 ms 338 ms 454 ms ipt-ma05.proxy.aol.com [64.12.105.94]
    AHHH! Windows! AOL! Same Window! Ahhh I dont think my brain can handle all the horrible software... Heh.. Whos hostname was that I am a cracker? Yours?...

"Real Hackers" dont use thier own computers to break into other boxes.
    They usually use other hacked boxes to do thier work so useing traceroute in my opinion
    wont really help you.The best that you can hope for is that it's a so-called script kiddie,maybe he/she wont
    have the sense to use other computers to hack from.

You cant really stop hackers from hacking,all that you can do is make it harder for them by getting really good
    at secureing computers.The only fullproof way not to be hacked is to unplug your computer and take it off the www.

Crimina1

hehe well some hackers can hack and be undetectable even if they use their own boxes.. all he needs is just few amounts of proxy servers and a nice pinch of a shell account (preferably not his) and well he has to race with time.. the faster he finishes his work and covering his tracks the less likely he would get caught.. and if he uses dial-up.. all he can do is disconnect and reconnect to get his new IP address..

but yeah... its better to use public computers or if you have a lap top connect it to a public network...

So if a hacker was on his/her own box and routed through like 4 proxies it would hide his ip right? So I can use trace route to go through his/her proxies and get their ip right? Also I see how if cant help to get his isp thanks guys this really helps.
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

you cannot use tracert to find out someones IP if they are using proxies.

in order to use tracert you need to know an IP already. If you do know it, and they are using a proxy, all you will know is the ip and, the route your tracert takes back to the proxy. Sure, it can give you some interesting information, but the only way(that I know) to trace someone through multiple proxies is to have a look at the log files at each of the proxies.