Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Hack?

I'd answer it the same way I'd answer "why do you write so many applications". I have a need to constantly keep my skills up to date, and fresh in my mind.

Unlike most other jobs, computer-related studies tend to overwhelm the mind, and it's a lot easier to forget the specifics of things if you don't do them regularly. As I'm learning things, I tend to do them more. For instance, I recently started to learn C. I have 190 different programs that I've written in C, the vast majority useless apps that were merely created to make sure I understood the functionality of something I've learned. I have probably four or five actually useful applications. For me, it's a desire to know that I know what I'm talking about, to make sure I don't let myself slip.

Personally, it's not so much because the mountain is there, because I know I can climb it. A lot of the time, it's to prove to myself that I can still climb it.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

the reason why I hack? hmm..... i have two reasons....... (not sure how to word this) I know more about security and computer than the average person. I am also curious plus computers will help my future career. My other reason sort of just happened... Today im sitting in computer class done before everyone as usual so i decide to play around with some gamez. So i change the splash screen to something else and suddenly everyone is impressed. Its weird ...... Everybody puts a bad rap on hackers because Blackhats and crakerz ruin hackers reputation. Someone should set the record strait somehow!
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

I am a cracker
    good point

akanicknick
    This is an easy one,

hacking is a rush

knowing your true potential when sitting in a root directory of a corporation

feeling the adreanalin pump through your veins as you post to the sysadmin how you gained root

knowing the absolute shock from the sysadmin

it is just the POWER

haha ok.. here's what i would say..
    take hacking as learning martial arts.. you can learn the techniques.. and use them to your advantage.. but.. only for the good of all, not to bully around people..

i hack servers with the permission of the owner.. i crack softwares and look for holes with the permission of the software company.. and i report to the people as soon as i find something.. and hope that they will issue patches for it..

my main objective is to make the internet safer... i mean yeah i rarely get paid for my work but knowing i contributed to make the internet safer is rewarding enough..

like martial arts. you need know know ur opponent's technique so you can counter them.. that is why i also learn how crackers pull their tricks so i can counter it..

but what i hate is when i find a hole and tell the companies.. and crackers can use that hole coz companies never bothered listening to me..

First, I don't hack mischieviously; I help people. And that's why I do it. To help people. Oh yeah, and because I can

Oh yeah, and Sonic has the right idea. I could just type all that he did again (great illustration, by the way), but I'll just tell you to scroll up a bit for my view.

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

I am a cracker
    So the question is why are so many of you acting clueless? Personally I think this site is connected with
    1.*FBI and other government types reading the threads and posts reply's whats up?

First thing i would like to point out im not a hacker i do not hack/ break into any systems but i do read up on computers, i want to protect my data and computer from hackers. Im here becasue i love computer and love tecknolgy and wish to learn all i can having said that this is how i would handle this situation. The key thing if to make clear the differnce between people who hack and thouse of us who only wish to learn.

Perhaps a simple education process is required depending on his personality and how you word it, here is how I would handled it though if you know the parents very well.
    Firstly try to explain what a hacker is suggest you use the white hat black hat version this is a good start, try to show him of his misconceptions about what hacking is now I don’t know what you do but spin it so you make yourself look whiter than white this is important that you make yourself appear if you are the good guy. Secondly explain that you yourself are interested in hacking for a security point of view, ask them if there is any information on there computer they would not wish other to see or have access to, hopefully you get the answer yes. This is where you can get some brownie points and also if you have managed to gain some trust put a question forward something like would you leave your credit card and pin in your wallet inside your car in plane sight with all the door unlocked, of cause they will say no, point out that an unsecured system is like doing that surly they would lock the car up and not leave there wallet inside and perhaps put an alarm on and secure there car form theft, why not insure the data on there computer is the same, but computers are not like cars you cant just lock the doors and put an alarm on unless you now how. Explain that unless you know how a computer is broken into you cant defend against it, so you decide to learn how to protect your own data by learning the skills they use, go back to your white hat/black hat explanation and point out that this knowledge is what both posses but black hats don’t use it to defend themselves but use it to attack others then as many of the post above stress that you learn this to prevent yourself from getting attacked. Following this come up quickly with something along the lines of, now you car is locked and has an alarm but a master car thief could still get in and get your credit card/car and the only way to defend against these master thieves is to understand there attacks I full to do this you need to know there skills in full, from this explain that there is only so much you can learn and understand without trying it out for yourself so you have tried your skill in war games explain that these are legal to increase your understanding and learn the master thief techniques in so making you able to defend against them then. Now depending on how this went down come the part where you can hopefully clinch is, give them some sites such as shield up to test the computer security and offer to help them make there comps more secure for them this will depend on how well you know them and such like and also how well you point over the points. Hopefully if your lucky you get away with it and if you do get to help secure there comp as well or at least advise them on it you will get brownie points, but that is the best outcome.

HEATH WARNING 1 you have to know them very well for this because you need to put it to them in a way that don’t sound like total bullshit or that your talking down to them because that will piss them off and my advise is cheek out the sites you give them try to give them site that enforce what you have told them about learning to protect and black hat/white hack that way when and if they go off to them your story is backed up independently almost.

HEALTH WARNING 2; if you do too good a job of convincing them the need to know how to protect there comps they may start asking more and worse of all might start reading up on it and asking you all about it, if they are total comp newbies this will be a pain i the ass so be careful on the spin factor.

Well that it, think you got the general gist hope this helps and good luck

Kindred 69

ps. hope she worth the effort though
    ForeverLearning

Banned
    Originally posted by I am a cracker
    So the question is why are so many of you acting clueless? Personally I think this site is connected with
    1.*FBI and other government types reading the threads and posts reply's whats up?
    Basically this is an anti-hacker site although you do get a mixture of admins and *hackers*. Now if you want to find out about AntiOnline and what organizations it is involved in read the front page, you might find some info there, in fact you will.

Have a look around before posting about your little exploits or you may find the answer to your question fairly quickly, AntiOnline has been responsible for taking down *hacker* groups in the past, the exact details I am unsure of.

And by the way the FBI probably read every damn Hacker forum on the web, it is a very easy place to spot and keep up with their exploits, no?

This is not a flame, just a little tip.

Ennis.

The hackers are the peoples who help the others h...ers to do something in order to promove the scientifique search...
    it may be true..