Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many acounts!

Too many acounts!

I was thinking the other day about the insane number of usernames/passwords that users are expected to remember nowadays. You have to login for so many online services, things are just getting out of hand. Strictly speaking, you should use a unique password for each account. And you should be changing passwords about once a month to be on the safe side. But is this feasable?

People have to remember so many passwords that they often just use the same one for every account which is not a good idea. But it beats forgetting you password some people would argue.

It would be interesting to hear what people think about this and get ideas for a better way to manage this problem. For example, could there be some sort of central authentication process that can be used to provide access to multiple sites/accounts and what would be the security implications of this?
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Well, Microsoft has agreed with you, I think, with the .NET thing...it works on like 100 different sites or something, making it easier. I see this as unsafe, though, because if you guess one account for one thing that may be unimportant, the access is there to potentially harmful material that can be used against you. (Not sure if you understand what I mean or not, but I hope ya do. )

Biometrics are going to be implemented at my work soon. That's a solution.

of course as soon as the laptop manufacturers get off the duffs and build biometrics solution in to laptops. Then I wouldn't have to waste a pccard slot on the thumb reader.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Biometrics are going to be implemented at my work soon. That's a solution.
    Interesting... What sort of biometrics? Tell us more =).

The concept behind X.509 certificates is to provide a single sign on solution. Verify that you are who you claim via an interface (uid/pass, biometerics, etc) and the certificate authenticates you on all partner/vender/external systems. This technology is not commonly ued yet. Certificates also used for public/private encryption and SSL.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Originally posted by smirc

Interesting... What sort of biometrics? Tell us more =).
    We are looking at Ethentica http://www.ethentica.com. Got a couple of their test pccards. And have a couple usb devices on order just to see. What else would you like to know?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I prioritize, free services that require a password and I don't really care much about (like antionline) I use the same password for all of them. Things where money is involved, like say my ISP account, etc. all have unique passwords but I don't change them often. Very important passwords are both unique and changed often, like my online banking password and the root passwords on my servers at work.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

What else would you like to know?
    The site explains all that I wanted to know. Looks nice! However, there is a "major" flaw with using fingerprinting as an authentication method. What if someone hacks off your hand!!! Arrrggghhhh! j/k.

You can always use your toes.........hehehe...actually, you can...we tried.... it works fine.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned

passwords

I think that is infesable to change all of your passwords each month and keep them unique while remembering them all.