Thread: What I think about PIX

Thumbs up My thoughts on PIX

As with just about any firewall, Cisco PIX definately has some positives and negatives, in response to gold eagle I will list my personal feelings:

---PROS---
    *Tech Support is second to none
    *Price (especially compared to Checkpoint)
    *Security (although it depends on the admin)
    *Very Simple (as long as you like the CLI)
    *Has just about all the same feature as any other FW

---CONS---
    *Not really comfortable with the scalability in the Enterprise (When compared to Checkpoint)
    *NO REAL GUI (I know I said one of the pros was the CLI simplicity, unfortunately, this is not good for users that are not good with firewalls, and/or have not used Cisco products) CSPM just does not cut it for most people...although it is getting better
    *The PDM GUI does not work if the PIX config is over 2MB. Well...most configs are over 2MB...so in other words...it doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
    Very Very nice firewall that has several different products in all price ranges, and what else can I say...I have been a Cisco guy for a long time (CCNP, CCDP), and their products are great. I would say that the main weekness is the ability to manage a large number of firewalls easily across the enterprise. Best bet for your $$

I give it 4.5 stars

good informative post. +antis coming.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

If I could give anymore you'd get them.

P.S. Have you seen NH's new post? I think he IS all alone.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

yeah I saw it. Alone perhaps, but not forgotten.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.