Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first programming language

Banned

Question first programming language

what's the first programming language that I should learn. I've already learned some HTML but I don't know what to learn next.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re:

Depends on your goals.

What do you want to do with those languages...?

It depends on your focus. If you want to REALLY do a lot of programming, start with a language which doesn't make it easy on you. I suggest C++ for that case. Things like having to explicitly (that means, very clearly) define a variable are good habits to get into.

If you're just having fun, but don't think you'll do much in terms of any serious programming, go with something easy, like Visual Basic (ick)... Although I've heard good things about Python, too.

Could you give us some more information? How serious are you about programming? What kinds of things are you thinking of?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Depends on your goals.
    True.

For example:
    for basic knowledge of programming : Pascal, C/C++(preferable as most exploits are written in C, plus UNIX system is written on it)
    For Internet : Perl, Java, JavaScipt
    Delphi - for application developent
    ...there are a lot of more specialized languages, but these are the basic.

Banned

goals

I'm first gonna try to make simple programs. I can already make simple applets in Java and a good deal of stuff in HTML. That's what I know.

But you know Java is based on C++ syntax. For better understanding I would reccomend learing it. Although you can be learning Java from the scratch- I tried it- wasn't qualified enough to understand everything.

I would suggest C++ first and after C++ move into java because java is built on top of C++.
    Since you are brand new to programming email me I have a lot of books on my hard drive and would be glad to send you them.

Good luck!
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Right now I'm actually taking C++ and VB at the same time at my local college. For the most part, learning the structure of one can benefit with the other. I'm learning what I like and dislike about both languages already........lol
    I just keep my Windows partition around so I can mount it like the b*tch that it is.

Windows has detected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot.

Python

Going from HTML a logical transition would be into scripting. If you are going into systems administration, that'll be way useful to you in automating tasks and computer operations. You can then move logically into writing complete proggys in some of script languages.

Perl and Python are both popular and powerful for the above purpose and they have the added advantages of being platform independent and freely available with lots of examples and support on the net. They will be useful to you for both quick and dirty netapps and for full blown, database applications.

Whether you choose a scripting route or diving in to C++ or some other language depends on where you want to end up....but the important thing to remember is that it takes time and practise.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=

if you're interested in learning a "serious" language (meaning not vb or the like) i would have to agree with l3aDmOnKeY, learn c++ and then move to java.

Momentary Lapse makes an excellent point: once you've learned the basic concepts of one language (such as c++), other languages (java, c, pascal...) are easier to follow.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one