Thread: Comcast Admits to spying on it's customers

Comcast Admits to spying on it's customers

In a slick spindoctoring of the issue they claim its for "customer service". This is where the line should be drawn. They even admit they can store any bank account# and PIN. This is a little diffrent than redirecting a client to an appropiate server like Oblio was complaining about a couple of days ago. This is your isp storing everything you do. Comcast is the #3 isp in the world by the way.

I've seen commercials (for Earthlink I think) in which they promise not track you. Earthlink as the right idea. Hopfully Comcast drops this obnoxious practice -before they buy out ATT broadband service
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

this kinda thing makes u sick doesn't it....
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

There's a couple of lawsuits waiting to happen. Wait till the consumer advocacy groups get a hold of this.......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Comcast just announced that they will stop doing this. See http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s__data&cid=70
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

And who believes that?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sounds to me like this is just a simple case of (transparent) proxying and caching... This is not anything new... Caching is a widespread solution for accelerrating web browsing; Your workplace network most likely uses a proxy and noone's made a big deal out of it... Besides, unless they've done something really twisted (which would include sofisticated man-in-the-middle attacks), the proxying does NOT cache encrypted pages and transactions.

However I do admit that this *could* be requested by subpoena. Still, I think this as once again been blown out of proportion....

Ammo