Thread: How do you make the Lock appear on the bottom of the screen.

Question How do you make the Lock appear on the bottom of the screen.

How do you make the lock appear in the status bar in internet explorer and the key appear in netscape? I have been looking all over and can't find anything on this.

Thnx for your time.

You can't, except by visiting a site with extra-security, such as a site where you might buy something. They are only INDICATORS, to show the user that they are in a site (or a section of aa site) in which the traffic is encrypted to some degree.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

to be a bit more specific...the lock in IE or netscape indicates that the browser is connected to a website via a ssl connection.

the url also should indicate this...httpS www.balahablah.com...

however it is possible to have a secure connection and not have the lock show up. If a site uses frames where one frame is not secure the lock will not show even though the data will be secure between the frames which are connected via ssl.
    it is not possible (well...probably not completely impossible...) to have a padlock show up when a secure ssl connection is NOT present...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I was assuming that this was from an end-user 'what does this do' perspective, but throwing in SSL and HTTPS into the explanation works for me
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Banned
    its called an ssl certificate. if you want one you can get it here:
    http://verisign.com/products/site/index.html

you can buy one, or just get a trial id.