Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is web development?

Ninja Code Monkey

Question What do you think is web development?

What do you all think web development consists of? Is it just html/css? Does it include backend processes such as application servers that feed your front end web code? Databases too?

Since I do a little tinkering with code.....

I think web development is everything from the front end html/css/dhtml/etc, the middle layer (if you have one) of vb, c++, whatever code that talks to it and even the database code that may feed information to your whole site. If it has to do with the web site then it can be considered part of web development.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Talking HMM

I agree with you! HTML and the coding is all paryt of it! You then go onto the backbone of most modern sites which is CGI PHP and other new coming technologies! Also it includes setting up web servers to serve content fast and without any niggles.

Web Development is not just mainly the aesthetics side (Graphics), it consist of site functionality as well. For site functionality to run, the backend side comes into play. Different sites have different specs. The more complicated the functions, the more backend engineering is needed. A good example would be online gaming sites, where the backend should be robust.

Thus, Web Development consist of frontend and backend. We can never break these two apart. Web Development consist of these two important elements.

A blessed day to all!!!

+++++++++++++++++

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now… as I shall not pass this way again. " ~William Penn

Yes yes all server side languages and java script + flash ...well you could add alot of languages..
    but i agree its not just simple HTML and graphics
    no way hosay

web dev is the complete sandwich!! front - middle - and backend. not to mention all the other little niceties that come with it: firewalls, tracking tools, and anything else you want to add on to it.

these days all the little extras can be endless.

web technology is growing faster than a case of the clap in a Philipino whore house!!!!

4ChecK

--ssshhh, be vewry, vewry quiet...

I believe that recently java has become an integral part of web development and helps to support the interactivity on the internet. For instance look at the java chat applet that antionline.com runs. Previously in order to chat on the irc, one had to download and install a client on their computer. With java this isnt necessary. My hope is to have it set so that the majority of applications for your computer are not stored locally. For purposes such as gaming this seems like a great idea. Already there are games using java that you can play interactively with others through the internet. I myself am currently developing one also that is a multiplayer java version of pong. Of course html, xml, cgi-perl and more are still very important on the internet, but java has the potential to change everything.
    Jealousy consumes the weak.
    http://www.badconnections.net

Talking Too many...

PPL have forgotten that web sites are about functionality and not looks. Too many people now relay too much on flash and shockwave. Lets not forget how it all started good old HTML.

not a big fan of flash & shockwave. if they are not done run they totally kill a site. not to mention the additional security issues. you can set a propper "experience" w/out them.
    4ChecK

--ssshhh, be vewry, vewry quiet...

If used well they can rock! You wont see me doing it though! (i havent got time to learn & I dont like it that much)

Banned
    i think it includes of everything from security to markup lang. programming to the multimedia.

and i agree with redgore about sites being about what they are made for, F|ock and $hitwave just sucks up your memory and takes eternity to load.

[sorry for the bad grammer]

- [blackh0le]