Thread: proxy and antivirus check

proxy and antivirus check

Hi all
    Can you tell me of some proxy servers or patches for those to check the traffic that passes through them for viruses . I have heard of something like this for squid but I wanrt to gather more opinions.

what os?
    what kinda enviroment u planning to use it...
    give us some input...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

the OS is linux

Infact it's a Slack 7.1 with 2.4.2 kernel I on P III with 256. I am running game servers, Apache and Mysql - but I don't think that is any help for the issue, except for that I want to get some performance too . I have a LAN of about 30 PCs with Wins which wil use Internet throug the Slack . So I want to do something about the viruses in the LAN.

Wink

As far as I see this product can be used with Windows and Solaris, but I am talking here about linux. Also I am not keen fan of products starting with enterprise
    I came accross on two products the httpf - which has no caching and a open an OpenAntivirus patch for the squid. If anybody has used any of the above or has a better idea - opinions are welcomed .
    Cheers!

First off, when running the services you are do you have IPtables or IPchains running?

Secondly, at my work I was the main researcher for an AntiVirus Product, we went with a less well known AntiVirus, Sophos. www.sophos.com They full support as400, Unix, Linux, Linux Based SMTP mail, Novell, OS/2, DOS, Windows 9x, Windows NT4.0+, etc.. Their software is very impressive. You can purchase their software, the cd comes with a linux install. It is very easy to setup. I run Sophos AntiVirus on my Linux Firewall (to be firewall, not there yet) and my client pc's on my ethernet network.

-Hope It Helped...
    Jason

Originally posted here by yasho
    As far as I see this product can be used with Windows and Solaris, but I am talking here about linux. Also I am not keen fan of products starting with enterprise
    I came accross on two products the httpf - which has no caching and a open an OpenAntivirus patch for the squid. If anybody has used any of the above or has a better idea - opinions are welcomed .
    Cheers!
    It seems like you are doing quite a hard work already with your "proxy machine" and if you want to have better performance should I recomend you to put up a second machine as content scanner with AV. But if your performance is good enough try one of the solutions you mentioned and see what works best for you. I don't know any open-source content scanner but I'll look into it and see what I can find out.

Originally posted by jason-mis
    we went with a less well known AntiVirus, Sophos. www.sophos.com They full support as400, Unix, Linux, Linux Based SMTP mail, Novell, OS/2, DOS, Windows 9x, Windows NT4.0+, etc.. Their software is very impressive.
    I agree Sophos is a good product but I have not run it on Linux yet but I'll give it a try since I'm building a similiar solution to the one yasho are building .

Lightbulb

Hi all
    Thanks for the ideas I saw that sophos thing It's looking good but I haven't seen anything in their site about making the antivirus program check the http traffic through the machine. I do not want to use the tools I found (httpf or the squid pathc of Open antivirus) because they are using java forgive my pessimism but I don't think I can get speed using this **** . So I am thinking maybe I have to patch the squid so I will pipe the traffic throug some AV software, but guys I need something fast - I am thinking of F-Prot - nut I need some info if anybody can tell me which is the fastest thing in the business.
    Cheers!