Thread: Airport and DSL

Airport and DSL

I just invested in Airport (the Mac Wireless network hardware) and I love it...but I found out that my Landladies DSL (Verizon) doesn't support it!!!!! I am so upset...

Anyone have any suggestions about a DSL in the DC area that will support it? Any one else have any horror stories? GRRRRR!!!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

hmm, there has to be a work around for it, but I can't think of anything that would sound good to someone that has just invested $299 in an airport base station + $99 for a airport card.

unless you happen to have a router laying about, that you could plug into the dsl modem, and send to a hub to the base station, but this bypasses the router in the base station.

What I plan on doing when I network my apartment that I am getting in the summer, is to buy a Linksys 802.11b wireless access point+ broadband router + 4 port hub all-in-one, it is about $179 (don't quote me on the specs, a friend's dad just got one, and it is hella sweet, but I haven't actually done any research into everything about it, and as this is out of memory, I am apt to be wrong), and then get an Airport card. that way I can use my Pismo anywhere in the apartment, and my friends can connect their PC desktops through the hub, and if the roommate with a PC laptop wants she can get a PCMCIA 802.11b adapter and she can roam about too.

Good luck, I'm sorry I couldn't help,
    dhej

ps- I like your avatar. "If you are the superior race, why don't you come up these stairs and get me." (to paraphrase)

Dhej -
    I actually got a router cause I wanted to link two non-airport apples and the base station to the DSL modem, but that wont work either! I think I know why though....

Problem is if Verizon is not compatible with Airport, there seems to be no way around it...Today I am going to call the Apple Store and see what they say about this issue...after all I can get a new DSL contract with someone else!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....