Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherboard fried?

TechieChick
    Sorry..

it sounds to me like your ram could be dead in some capacity. what kind of ram do you have? If you have an open DIMM slot, move a card of it there. i had the same problem as you and the cause was a bad dimm slot.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

I am having the same problem over here. It occured actually when I was in the middle of a linux install... It was going fine and then the install failed and i tried too reboot but nothing came up. Now when i boot my computer up I dont get anything on the screen or a beep. My harddrives spin and the power button doesnt work at all to power it down. I have too manually power it off via the power supply toggle.

I had just put in a brand new power supply as well caus the last one burnt out...heh and right after i put in the new one this happens.

My insticnt was too yup take out all my devices one by one and see where the problem was...well i got all the way too the ram and still no screen. So it's either the cpu or the mother board..the cpu is spinning fine so i'm assuming its the mother board..

hope someone has a solution.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    dyode:
    do you use ATX power supply? I havbe seen this happen to a friend... the power supply burnt out and fried the MBR too...

So probably your PowerSupply did a power surge when burning out causing ESD or electrical damage to your MBR...

thesecretfire:
    You have a blank screen? does your numlock capslock and scoll lock lights on your keyboard light on? If they are similtanuos you have an ESD problem... disconnect any device and power on.
    You have taken out everything and replaced video card? therefor only options are: MBR, RAM, RAM socket, CPU...

Ironically enough I just had this problem. T tried all that and then "borrowed" my dads processor and fired it up, instant boot!. I had IDENTICAL symptoms. I'm not saying its gauranteed but check it out, I have an ATX supply.
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

H'm reminds me of my old MB's BIOS getting flashed by the CIH virus/worm...

one hell of a way to spent 175Eu (350 Gilders @ the time) on a new MB...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

VictorKaum: Yes i have an ATX power supply 300w . I just replaced an old one that burnt out and when i put this one in it ran fine and then I started too get these symptoms..i'm trying a new mb today.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I had the same problems once because my Jumper to clear the CMOS was on the wrong position. I suggest that you may check your Motherboard jumper specification. Maybe if you clear the CMOS manually, it'll change something. Also be sure that your computer sound speaker is connect because even if your video card, ram or cpu is broken, the post will tell you with sound. Last thing, check all your jumpers and if you want, try to check with another powersupply!
    -Simon \"SDK\"