Thread: How do i...?

Question How do i...?

Hi guys'n'gals

I have hit a small snag during writing my web-page. I want the page to download updated pages from various sites everyday morning without prompting the viewer and it should be fast enough to work reasonably well over a dial-up connection ? The likely size of downloads would be about 400k.

will be grateful for a suggestion/pointer/script/code.

Banned
    What do you mean update pages.... If you mean download a peice of a news website everyday and show it on your sidebar, that isnt that hard to do... You could try an <iframe>, but 400k of uploads will take at least 3-5 minutes on a 56k... You gotta find some way to reduce the size, bevause I dont think any 56k'er will wait that long for a page to load... But ill try to look for a preload script for you... It might help

please try and be alittle more specific when asking for help. elaborate on your question so people will be more inclined to answer. when someone has to guess and decrypt a question, it will usually just get ignored.

56k users like me Get fed up of large loading times. WHAt you seem to want to do will annoy us like hell and we will leave your site after oooh about 5 secs

400k... about 400sec on a 56k that's almost 7 minutes...i MIGHT wait that long for a dl...but NEVER for a page just to load...

i'd figure out a way to index the pages...maybe just the urls...(you're not talking 400k of url's are ya???)
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Banned
    I couldnt find that <script> for you... But you could use a Flash preloader, just look at almost any flash-website and their will be a flash tutorial, ahem, How about http://www.newgrounds.com/flash

flash preloaders are easy peasy well once you know how heres a quick run through in how to create one......

1. name the first frame of your loader scene start
    2. create a keyframe at about say frame 10 and name it loaded
    3. create another keyframe after loaded and name it wait
    4. create a final keyframe called next

ok now heres the action script for each scene

loaded
    ifFrameLoaded ("lastScene", "LastFrame") {
    gotoAndPlay ("next");
    }

wait
    ifFrameLoaded (1) {
    gotoAndPlay ("start");
    }

next
    ifFrameLoaded (1) {
    gotoAndPlay ("NextScene", 1);
    }

Ok easy so far?? the bits in bold you'll have to change to your scene/frame names
    but you don't want just a blank screen so add another layer and make a small animation to play between frames 1 & 10

I'll include a sample .fla for you to look at - hope it helps

v_Ln

soz forgot to include that file - here you go

v_Ln

I'd like to thank all of you for your kind help. For some ppl, I'd like to clarify - I DON'T want this script for MY page ; I need it to download some updates for MYSELF;0) so you see that no one other than me has to wait for these downloads.

Thanks All !!

What a nice young man - your very welcome - heh

v_Ln