Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 128 bit security/ kindly explain plz

Precisions:
    When we talk about 128bit encryption with SSL, that's the size of the symmetric key used after the initial key exchage, which is done with a larger public/private key pair (1024bits for example)... This is because symmetric encryption is faster than public key encryption, but the symmetric key must be exchanged between the 2 hosts...

Ammo

Ok.. i think 128 bit encryption means that the crypto softwares encrypts the data every 128 bit.. compared to 64 bit.. where it encrypts every 64 bit of da data.. 128 bit is much more harder to decrypt since there are more bits to decrypt.. get me? its like having 128 number combinations compared to 46 combination of numbers..

BUT i could also be wrong... so yeah.. hehe

Originally posted here by s0nIc
    its like having 128 number combinations compared to 46 combination of numbers..
    Yup, that's pretty much it...

Ammo

Ok.. i think 128 bit encryption means that the crypto softwares encrypts the data every 128 bit.. compared to 64 bit.. where it encrypts every 64 bit of da data..
    hehe ok i just found out i was wrong in that bit..
    I juz had a short educational talk wid da ppl in IRC...
    basic over view is that the file is encrypted with 128 bit has longer KEYS than 64 bit.. but its a bit more complex dan dat.. but dats juz a rough over view..

Originally posted here by s0nIc
    Ok.. i think 128 bit encryption means that the crypto softwares encrypts the data every 128 bit.. compared to 64 bit.. where it encrypts every 64 bit of da data.. 128 bit is much more harder to decrypt since there are more bits to decrypt.. get me? its like having 128 number combinations compared to 46 combination of numbers..

BUT i could also be wrong... so yeah.. hehe
    As I understand it, the key is 64 or 128 bits, and the key has to be used to encrypt/decrypt each sequence of bytes. Like if you wanted to brute force a 16 bit key, you'd start with the key 0000000000000001, then 0000000000000010, etc. but to brute force a 128 bit, you'd have have exponentially more combinations to try.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

echelon3,
    these days the government uses rijndael encryption algorithm, it's was an open source project by an independant company, i don't remember the name of the company.

you can read all about it at www.nist.gov/AES

blowfish and twofish is used by the private sector i beleve. i have java, vbasic, and c implementations of both of them, if you're interested pm me and i'll send them to you.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Thanks for telling me that then Jabberwocky.